Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 200 Osprey Motorguide 36v Pinpoint Install  (Read 988 times)

January 28, 2017, 09:26:15 AM
Read 988 times

mmislovic

• Information Offline
200 Osprey Motorguide 36v Pinpoint Install
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
I was watching some fishing videos and came across the new Motorguide trolling motor with Pinpoint and Lowrance integration.  I had to have it.  Being that i fish structure in Tampa, putting out and anchor and setting up on the structure usually ended up in an argument and the threat of divorce.

Get that fish buddy!

Well after doing a little more research i had to have it even more.  One week of shipping and

Here it is!  Now how to install.  This motor requires about 5 inches of overhand from the rub rail.

The 200 osprey has a sloped top cap that does not allow this.  But later on this.

The first things first.  I had wiring to do.  A little background.  My boat was rigged with a Motorguide 36V Great White, so the power connections will be the same.  Easy.  I use a Battery Tender 80 amp plug (http://products.batterytender.com/Accessories/Power-Connect-Battery-Connector-Set-Black.html).  This thing will never go bad and has some nice seals and good current density on the contacts (I work as an Electrician/Instrumentation/Controls Technician at a Powerplant).  For the integration with my Lowrance HDS i needed a NMEA 2000 network drop at the trolling motor.  I used the existing wiring to the bow light to pull in the new harness i built:

This harness consists of new wiring for the bow light, NMEA 2000 network backbone and a 120vac cable for the future 3 bank charger  ;-).  To determine the proper locations i mocked up my network T-Taps in the console and marked my network cable as to where i wanted the harness sheath to stop.  I then encased the wires in a expandable sleeving that i terminated with adhesive lined heat shrink.

Next I installed the bow wiring and termination.

One note.  I installed the T-tap on the sloped surface....i thought there was some core material in this area....Nope drilled right through the fiberglass and saw daylight.  Well at least i'll get good penetration on the silicone for the screw.  I used solder and heat shrink to reattach the wiring for the bow light.  Note the coil of wiring is so long for the future upgrade of rub rail mounted navigation lights.

Then I mounted the terminations in the console for the GPS and network power connections.  I bundled the tap for the GPS with the other lowrance cables.

Again i thought there was core material for the screw...nope...and again good silicone penetration.

Now how to mount the motor....well $60 dollars later from boat outfitters and i got a piece of 1" thick star board that is 6.75"x 27" long.  It should be here later in the week.  My plan is to mount the starboard where the old trolling motor is and use some stainless flat bar under neath the front cap to help with spreading out the clamping force.  The trolling motor will then mount to the starboard.

January 28, 2017, 07:50:01 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 200 Osprey Motorguide 36v Pinpoint Install
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »
That should work :thumleft:
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

January 31, 2017, 10:05:33 AM
Reply #2

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
I have the MotorGuide large removable mount on my CCP for my MinnKota TM.  I can take it off easily if needed - nice feature.  I like the big footprint of the MotorGuide mount; it's very solid.  You will be hooked once you get a GPS trolling motor.  The anchor feature alone is cool - just push a button and the boat stays where you want it against wind or current.  Also you can set a line to follow.  The remote control is also nice because you can control the TM from any point on the boat, as well as up to 50' away from the boat. 

Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

February 03, 2017, 12:25:20 PM
Reply #3

mmislovic

• Information Offline
200 Osprey Motorguide 36v Pinpoint Install
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
The starboard showed up, but I had to work...oh well.  Got it installed this morning. 

First I laid out where my holes were going to go and verified no interference with anything on the cap.  I drilled the holes for 1/4 inch hardware.  I then recessed the screw heads in the starboard using a larger drill bit.

I used a 1/8" round over router bit to round the edges of the starboard for a littler cleaner and softer edges.  I then mocked up the install using the motorguide quick removal bracket.  The key was to maintain trolling motor shaft to rub rail clearance.  (I ended up with about 3 inches of clearance).  I used the square to verify proper spacing.

Once I was satisfied I drilled the holes in the cap for the starboard bracket and put 2 screws in to keep it in place.  Once I had my release bracket mocked up I drilled the holes for the mounting plate in the starboard.

I cut up some 1/8"x2" stainless flat bar for backing plates on the bottom side of the cap.  A portaband made quick work of the cuts.

Time to bolt everything together and on the boat.  I used some 80 grit sandpaper on my sander to rough up the gelcoat under the bracket and applied a liberal amount of polyurethane adhesive, put on the bracket and installed the bolts and backing plates.

Here is the final product!  There is a little flex in the motor guide release bracket and a little deflection in the end of the starboard.  I may end up putting a brace under the starboard and down to the sloped side of the cap.  But I'll make that decision after fishing on Monday.

And one of the deployed unit.  The wire coming from the anchor locker is the NMEA 2000 network cable.  I'm not sure if I want to bring it through the cap and silicone in or just store it in the anchor locker and connect as needed.

Can't wait to try it out.

February 03, 2017, 05:36:52 PM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Nice!!  That baby ought to move right along with 36V motor - is it a 101lb?  The cap makes it a challenge and I think you're right to add bracing underneath it - I've seen some on this site like that.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal