Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: scuppers  (Read 1143 times)

May 21, 2009, 01:34:30 PM
Read 1143 times

jahoward1

• Information Offline
scuppers
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
Hey everybody,

I saw a few discussions on this topic but what is everbody using to stop water from coming in through scuppers?  I don't know if everyone has this problem but if you did, what did you use?  Is it better to use some sort of plug or should I buy a valve?  Oh yeah, the boat I'm talking about is a 20ft 1997 Osprey cc.  Please help.

James H

1997 Aquasport 200 Osprey
"Sally May"

May 21, 2009, 01:39:42 PM
Reply #1

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
Re: scuppers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
I bought some of the "ping-pong" ball style scuppers sold at West (Worst) Marine.  They are bigger than the older scuppers like these.  $12.99 ea.

They work GREAT.  One of the easiest, cheapest, simple solutions to a very annoying problem...

How big is your outboard?  I didn't have a problem with water coming in until I hung my fat four stroker on the transom.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

May 21, 2009, 04:20:20 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »
I've always used plugs. They are more work if you drag a lot of water into your boat (diving) or when it rains but I pull them while underway and the cockpit drains quickly. The drains are a little different on the old CCPs than on the Osprey but yours is a newer model so I'm not really sure. My 170 had the flappers that are common. They worked fair. The old CCPs work on displacement so the need for plugs.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 21, 2009, 06:04:30 PM
Reply #3

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »
Quote from: "Capt. Bob"
. The old CCPs work on displacement so the need for plugs.

??  How does that work?
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

May 21, 2009, 08:07:53 PM
Reply #4

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "Badonquasport196"

??  How does that work?

The deck of the CCP's is above the waterline when the boat is at rest, in calm water.
The drain (cockpit) resides in the rear corner of the deck (on each side) and the outfall is (under normal circumstances) just above the waterline on each side of the hull.
 As weight is added to the stern (think guys fishing) the hull outfall drop below the waterline and water enters the hose connecting the outfall and deck drain.
Add enough weight (either several fishermen or a couple of fat ones) and the deck elevation becomes lower than the waterline and water enters the boat.
This is most apparent when launching at a steep ramp where the stern sinks deep into the water. That's where the expansion plugs earn their money.

As long as the deck is above the water line, water will travel through the hose and enter into the sea, even with the outfall submerged. Head pressure forces the water out the hose and follows the old (really old) adage, that "water seeks its own level".
Choppy seas, where the boat is going up and down will allow water to enter and at the same time drain depending on the stern height. Again the expansion plugs work real well, in these conditions.
Should you find a lot of water in the cockpit, say rain, just get underway and pull the plugs. Water collects at each drain and as mentioned above, is forced out via head (displacement) pressure.
The infamous "coffin" is set up the same way.

Funky, for sure but hey, that's half the fun of these old beauties. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 21, 2009, 08:36:48 PM
Reply #5

jahoward1

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:48 PM »
Thanks guys, doing some internet research and I did see some plugs but they say they"re for a kayak.  I'm not sure if they will work but I'm ok with anything that will stop the water from coming into the boat.  Thanks again.  I let you guys know how it works out.

James H

1997 Aquasport 200 Osprey
"Sally May"

May 22, 2009, 04:47:46 PM
Reply #6

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
Quote from: "Badonquasport196"

??  How does that work?

The deck of the CCP's is above the waterline when the boat is at rest, in calm water.
The drain (cockpit) resides in the rear corner of the deck (on each side) and the outfall is (under normal circumstances) just above the waterline on each side of the hull.
 As weight is added to the stern (think guys fishing) the hull outfall drop below the waterline and water enters the hose connecting the outfall and deck drain.
Add enough weight (either several fishermen or a couple of fat ones) and the deck elevation becomes lower than the waterline and water enters the boat.
This is most apparent when launching at a steep ramp where the stern sinks deep into the water. That's where the expansion plugs earn their money.

As long as the deck is above the water line, water will travel through the hose and enter into the sea, even with the outfall submerged. Head pressure forces the water out the hose and follows the old (really old) adage, that "water seeks its own level".
Choppy seas, where the boat is going up and down will allow water to enter and at the same time drain depending on the stern height. Again the expansion plugs work real well, in these conditions.
Should you find a lot of water in the cockpit, say rain, just get underway and pull the plugs. Water collects at each drain and as mentioned above, is forced out via head (displacement) pressure.
The infamous "coffin" is set up the same way.

Funky, for sure but hey, that's half the fun of these old beauties. :thumright:

Huh.  So I guess "ping-pong" style scuppers  wouldn't be a good idea for that boat, seeing as how they'd be plugged all the time.  To be fair though, my ball scuppers are almost always plugged unless I'm on plane.

JAHoward-

These are the style scuppers that I went with, from West Marine-

Here's a link:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=698

They really do work great, and are easy to install.  These are all you need.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

May 23, 2009, 05:09:42 PM
Reply #7

Marcq

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:09:42 PM »
One thing about the "ping-pong" style scuppers, they work pretty good not letting water in, but I find that since I installed them, I find that the water (if it gets in, like water over the transom) the water won't evacuate as fast as before with out them in place

Marc..
1979 170 Aquasport 70hp Evinrude

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal