Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: bilge pump 22-2  (Read 5293 times)

July 14, 2006, 05:19:05 AM
Reply #15

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2006, 05:19:05 AM »
If I remember right, the 6" access plate's rear edge on mine started about 2 inches in front of the trough below the motor mount.  If you are dead center in the boat and start from there, you should be fine. Just cut a layer at a time until you're through.
The bilge I had made no sense because there was no place to run the hose out except the access plate itself.  Good place to inspect the bilge but you couldn't do anything about what was happening there.

At the time, I didn't think about routing a hose over to the side and through the side of the boat, I just wanted to get the project done.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

July 14, 2006, 07:52:49 AM
Reply #16

StillKIckn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:49 AM »
thanks for the insite, new to boating and got a really good deal on the 170 it is in pretty good shape, some cosmedic issues nothing major, just dont like the idea of no bildge  pump. when out all day, no water when pulling the lower drain plug, have not been out in the rain yet, thought about putting a pump on deck at trasom and hose over transom for when i get stuck in the rain, not really sure about cutting holes yet.   thanks   again
\'76 170 Osprey - 90hp Evin.

July 16, 2006, 07:52:33 AM
Reply #17

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 07:52:33 AM »
My old pump bucket was falling apart from the sun, so I made another yesterday.  
Parts needed:
1. Cheap bait bucket.
2. Bilge pump (I use a Rule 1000 gph)
3. Float switch (Again, Rule)
4. Piece of plexi wide enough to mount the pump and switch on and long enough to hang out about an inch on both sides of the bucket.
5. Weights to keep the bucket from floating.
6. PVC Pipe for exhaust (don't remember if it came with the pump)
7. Long enough hose to get over the transom and a hose clamp.

Construction Steps:
1. Mount the pump and switch on the plexi with stainless wood screws.  Mount close to the center and make sure that the switch can move freely.
2. Connect the switch to the pump and add enough wire to the pump and switch to get from the back of your boat to your battery.
3. Remove the pump and switch from the plexi.
4. Mark the thickness and width of the plexi on the side of the bucket at the bottom - both sides of the bucket.  Leave about 1/8" above the top of the bucket bottom.
5. Use a razor knife and cut the slot out of the bucket, both sides.
6. Slide the plexi through the slot on one side and out the other.  Center it.
7. Remove the top from the bucket.
8. Mount the pump bottom and switch back on the plexi now that it is in the bucket.
9.  Measure and cut a hole in the side for the discharge pipe to come through the side of the bucket.
10. Reassemble the pump in the bucket.

11. Tie the weights together so that they can straddle the plexi but not get in the way of the switch (I used fishing line of course).  Add them to the bucket now.

12. Cut a few triangular holes near the bottom of the bucket so water can get in.
13. Put the bucket in a 5 gal bucket, connect to a battery, start filling the bucket with water and see if it works.  May have to cut more holes in it if it doesn't allow water into it fast enough for you.  Don't cut too many or the bucket will be unstable. (EDIT: I ended up cutting about 6 holes per side)
14. Connect the hose to the exhaust tube so you know how to do it.

15. Put the lid back on the bucket.
16. Take the hose off, roll it up and put it in the bucket.

17. Close the lid and store under your bench seat or wherever else is convenient.

I carry it with me but have never had to use it (knocking on wood).
Rick

July 20, 2006, 10:42:27 AM
Reply #18

StillKIckn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »
Rickk,  Hey thanks again for the info,  wanted to ask (this may sound funny) were did you find the cheap bait bucket, have looked in walmart, kmart, and local bait shops and the only thing i can find are bait pens or insulatted buckets.   also i have a rule 500 gph with float switch, this shoulf be big enough you think  i know you use a 1000

thanks  kevin
\'76 170 Osprey - 90hp Evin.

July 20, 2006, 11:48:04 AM
Reply #19

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
Nice set-up Rick!  Looks good too...
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

July 23, 2006, 08:04:59 AM
Reply #20

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »
Quote from: "StillKIckn"
Rickk,  Hey thanks again for the info,  wanted to ask (this may sound funny) were did you find the cheap bait bucket, have looked in walmart, kmart, and local bait shops and the only thing i can find are bait pens or insulatted buckets.   also i have a rule 500 gph with float switch, this shoulf be big enough you think  i know you use a 1000

thanks  kevin

Kevin, sorry, I didn't see your reply.  I don't remember where I got that bait bucket, picked it up one day when I forgot mine, so must have been at a bait shop.  Keep looking, I'm sure you'll run into one somewhere.
The bucket setup is for, like a regular bilge pump, pumping out water that gets in slowly, therefore a 500gph should be fine.  If you are swamped by a following sea or a rogue wave, I don't think there is a pump made (at least that can be hauled on our little boats) to handle that volume.  The bucket can be used to bail in that situation :lol:.  
I remember on one outing when my daughter and I were chased and  finally caught by a rogue storm cloud (I know, seems goofy but it happened). I beached the boat and we ran under a close-by dock for cover (no bimini at the time) - you couldn't see 100 yds it was raining so hard.  That cloud dumped several inches of rain in a matter of minutes and then moved on and the boat almost sank while beached.  I had a 300 or 500pgh, or something close to that then, laying in the trough at the back and it ran a good ten minutes to get rid of that rainwater. That's when I bought the 1000.
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal