Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Hi and Help  (Read 2470 times)

November 23, 2010, 06:36:27 PM
Read 2470 times

travisgregg

• Information Offline
Hi and Help
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
Hey everyone, I've got questions so hopefully I can get some answers. Last year I bought a TM 290, I had never heard of the brand prior and also never owned a boat that big. Jumped in too quickly and now I'm stuck with it. I have recently developed a not so pleasant knock in my port engine and lost power along with much needed oil pressure, but I'm not losing oil. the engines have about 1500 hours so I'm guessing they are about done any way should i replace or maybe bottom end. Also does anyone know how difficult it is to pull the aft deck so Ican look at the gas tanks. Last time I fueled I smelled gas in the cabin for about a week and I did have the blower on. And finally the saniflush tank? Its underneath the batteris about mid ship. what is it and what do i do with it. Sorry for any confusion in my questions but i guess I am just trying to find someone familiar with the boat that i could talk to. thanks in advance for any response helpful or sarcastic. I could use the info or laugh. Happy boating and a very happy thanksgiving.

November 23, 2010, 07:50:27 PM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: Hi and Help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:50:27 PM »
Welcome aboard travisgregg  :!:  :!:
We have several members that have the "Big Boy" boat that you do - hang in there and help will be here soon.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 23, 2010, 09:17:33 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »
Trav,

Welcome to the family. As Larry the cable guy would reiterate, "You ain't stuck with nuthin".

You have a NICE boat. No problems, only solutions. Relax....the posse' is on the way.

As the Lone Ranger whispered in his faithful horse Silver's ear...."I said to bring the POSSE'....."

:lol:

November 24, 2010, 08:10:18 AM
Reply #3

Reel Lucky

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:10:18 AM »
I have the same boat, to save keyboard time, just give me a call, I've replaced my fuel tanks and have done a bunch of other things you might be interested in.
727-804-4696 John.

November 24, 2010, 08:20:45 AM
Reply #4

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:45 AM »
All I can add is don't mess around with a fuel leak.  They tend to go BOOM sooner or later.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

November 24, 2010, 06:03:05 PM
Reply #5

travisgregg

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:03:05 PM »
Thanks for the positive responses. My wife had to talk me down off the ledge recently, due to the large amount of small problems and small amount of LARGE projects I was pretty overwhelmed. Like I said previously, I am new to the Aquasport. I came here from socal and grew up fishing on very old small boats (glasspar). I was also wondering if there is a fairly easy way to reach the rudder posts to tighten the stuffing boxes they are leaking like crazy. I eventually want to replace them with dripless boxes as well as the shafts. So far I have really enjoyed the boat and some day would like to get her restored and run offshore like she was meant to. Thanks for the offer to talk John, I'll be calling you. when m wife gets home I will have her help me post some pics, I'm no good with computers.

November 24, 2010, 06:28:56 PM
Reply #6

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
Quote from: "travisgregg"
Thanks for the positive responses. My wife had to talk me down off the ledge recently, due to the large amount of small problems and small amount of LARGE projects I was pretty overwhelmed. Like I said previously, I am new to the Aquasport. I came here from socal and grew up fishing on very old small boats (glasspar). I was also wondering if there is a fairly easy way to reach the rudder posts to tighten the stuffing boxes they are leaking like crazy. I eventually want to replace them with dripless boxes as well as the shafts. So far I have really enjoyed the boat and some day would like to get her restored and run offshore like she was meant to. Thanks for the offer to talk John, I'll be calling you. when m wife gets home I will have her help me post some pics, I'm no good with computers.

You found this site, didn't you?  Only the best owner's site out there!  Welcome, I love the 290, but she was built before my time at AS.  Be patient, use her however you can, and there will be others who will lend a hand...What does she have for motors, 350s?  And BTW, I doubt there is an "easy" way to reach the rudder post boxes.  On twin inboards of the 29 foot genre, there is not an easy way to do pretty much about anything!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 24, 2010, 06:44:18 PM
Reply #7

travisgregg

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 06:44:18 PM »
powered with twin 350's. Makes a nice sound but with side routed exhaust can get loud. I really love the boat but her size makes it hard to get to a lot of the good fishin holes around. If I run out of a chanel the water gets real shallow real fast (30 to 5-) Ihave been looking around to repower her but the price of the is scary. Oh well needs to be done Best I have found is about 5k per plus install and fresh water cooling kits, that was at a place in FL, Daddyos and dont know about warranty.

November 24, 2010, 10:10:37 PM
Reply #8

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
I was also wondering if there is a fairly easy way to reach the rudder posts to tighten the stuffing boxes they are leaking like crazy. I eventually want to replace them with dripless boxes as well as the shafts.

There should be two nuts sticking out of the stuffing boxes - one on top and one on the bottom.  You should be able to tighten them up a bit to reduce leaking.  If they will not stop leaking, you need to replace the stuffing box material.  You can get replacement cording at a marine supply.  Dripless stuffing boxes are nice, but a properly adjusted stuffing box only leaks a drip or two every few seconds, and none when the propshaft is not turning.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

November 24, 2010, 10:20:56 PM
Reply #9

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »
Hey everyone, I've got questions so hopefully I can get some answers. Last year I bought a TM 290, I had never heard of the brand prior and also never owned a boat that big. Jumped in too quickly and now I'm stuck with it. I have recently developed a not so pleasant knock in my port engine and lost power along with much needed oil pressure, but I'm not losing oil. the engines have about 1500 hours so I'm guessing they are about done any way should i replace or maybe bottom end. Also does anyone know how difficult it is to pull the aft deck so Ican look at the gas tanks. Last time I fueled I smelled gas in the cabin for about a week and I did have the blower on. And finally the saniflush tank? Its underneath the batteris about mid ship. what is it and what do i do with it. Sorry for any confusion in my questions but i guess I am just trying to find someone familiar with the boat that i could talk to. thanks in advance for any response helpful or sarcastic. I could use the info or laugh. Happy boating and a very happy thanksgiving.

1.  Oil pressure and knock - check timing and oil level.  Also could be a head gasket.  1500 hours is about the life span for a raw water cooled engine, but usually fresh water cooled engines will go at least 2000 before needing a rebuild - depending on maintenance.  
2.  Gas smell?  Probably a tank leak, and nothing to take lightly!  The tank should come out after removing the tank cover.  Check with Florida Tank or RDS and they can fab a new tank, but don't run the boat with gas in the bilge - just inviting a BOOM!
3.  Saniflush tank is the holding tank for the potty - fix the gas tank first - then let's move on to the other stuff.  

Hang in there - we're here to help ya - don't panic, but don't do something you will regret later...
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

November 25, 2010, 08:35:28 AM
Reply #10

travisgregg

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »
I had the prop stuffing boxes repacked about 4 months ago and the port box seems to be ok maybe one drip every 45 sec but the starboard was leaking one drip every 3-5 sec. I have tightened it before but i'm afraid to overdo it. And about the gas tank I was considering having them lined. There is a tank shop here in chesapeake that will boil them and leak check then line them. Do you think that is a reasonable solution? I think at worst it will only be about 300 bucks a tank and I know they do it on trucks alot.

November 25, 2010, 10:23:52 AM
Reply #11

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:23:52 AM »
I would not trust lining a leaky tank.  These aluminum tanks usually corrode under the foam pads on the bottom, and you will often find the holes and corrosion are worse than you think when you take the tank out.  Instead of spending $300 to get a tank lined, spend $750 and get a new tank made, and you will not have to worry about the tank for 25 years or so...   :salut:
Gas in the bilge is not something you want.    :evil:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"

November 25, 2010, 01:21:40 PM
Reply #12

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
You definitely should replace the tank, first expenditure. This would also be the time to increase capacity if you so desired. What does she hold now?

You have an offshore boat, and as you start getting the feel for your area, at some point in time you'll want to use her as the offshore ride she is. If nothing else you'll increase her marketability in the future.

Welcome aboard!

November 26, 2010, 03:40:09 AM
Reply #13

marco

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
Hi and welcome aboard travisgregg. The fuel tank without question is the first and foremost project.
Gas vapors are heavier than air and settle in the bilge, just 1 spark and the boat and most likely anyone aboard will be history.
I don't know about lining them??? IMHO go new, this way there is no question about the tanks condition.
Read the news stry below, I think you'll find it interesting.......

State Rep. Roger R. "Sparky" Goyette and nine other persons are injured when an explosion destroys his 44-foot yacht, Checkmate, moments after it was filled with fuel at the Coast Guard Auxiliary Marina in Fairhaven. Goyette's daughter, Linda Rock, 29, of New Bedford, was admitted to St. Luke's Hospital, New Bedford in satisfactory condition. Goyette, 59, a New Bedford Democrat, and eight others were treated at the hospital for minor scrapes and bruises. The boat, a triple-cabin motor yacht built in 1966, was destroyed and was resting on the bottom in shallow water near the dock off Middle Street, police said.
1983 CCP not powered.....yet
1973 19-6 CC
1997 115 Evinrude

November 26, 2010, 07:22:37 AM
Reply #14

travisgregg

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:22:37 AM »
she holds 300 gal at present no desire or space to go with any more. Its a hell of a bill to fill up! The thing is I'm not sure the tank leaks because it didnt lose any fuel and the smell of gas dissipated when iopened the portholes and hatch and let air out for a few days. I spend quite a bit of time below the deck looking at things and havent smelled gas for a long time, it was just when i fueled. I amjust about out of gas now. and I am going to try to lift the deck so I can inspect the fuel lines and probably replace most of them and also get a better look at the gas tanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal