You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: poling platform  (Read 966 times)

September 13, 2007, 02:33:35 PM
Read 966 times

martyg

• Information Offline
    • http://www.mothertech.net
poling platform
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:33:35 PM »
Has anyone instaled a poling platform on their Aquasport?  I have a 17 and will be using it less for poling and more for casting.

Thanks.

September 13, 2007, 02:49:17 PM
Reply #1

Undertow2

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
Not a whole lot of stalking flats there on Puget Sound, but, I offer you this:

Highly unlikely that many or any have installed a poling platform on an AS 17.  It's not a flats boat.  However, with the V-hull I am sure that it would track like it's on rails if you installed one, and that's a good thing!!  You'd just need a lot of water.

I'd go with a MK trolling motor.

:smurfin:   "Yea, I smurfed her".

September 13, 2007, 03:13:26 PM
Reply #2

captdave

• Information Offline
    • http://www.fishingescapecharters.com
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:13:26 PM »
I've poled my 19'6 for years and will do the same with my 222 only thing is all poling is from the bow. As far as the statement above needed alot of water for a 17 As I dont find that particularly true do to the fact my 19 and 22 will sit in 12" so a 17 will probaly be even less but poling from the stern makes the boat squat making your draft even more.

September 13, 2007, 07:51:32 PM
Reply #3

martyg

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:51:32 PM »
Quote from: "Undertow2"
Not a whole lot of stalking flats there on Puget Sound, but, I offer you this:

Highly unlikely that many or any have installed a poling platform on an AS 17.  It's not a flats boat.  However, with the V-hull I am sure that it would track like it's on rails if you installed one, and that's a good thing!!  You'd just need a lot of water.

I'd go with a MK trolling motor.

:smurfin:   "Yea, I smurfed her".

And you would know this because...?

As I mentioned - it is for casting, and sighting fish - not poling.

September 13, 2007, 11:43:56 PM
Reply #4

Undertow2

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:43:56 PM »
martyg-

Sorry dude, that post came out wrong.  I think of poling platforms and I think of stereotypical technical poling skiffs or flats boats.  Perhaps I am incorrect, but I am not too sure they are used elsewhere for much else useful.  As always, I could be wrong.  I have seen some silly larger boats here in Florida with the poling platform.  As for one acting as a casting deck, sure.  I can pole around and keep my rod between my knees to fire off casts if my guy on the bow chokes a cast or what not.  Have never seen one on a 17 AS.
My wife is from Anacortes and I have fished/boated extensively up in your neck of the woods.
Right near me in Tarpon Springs, FL. Quality T-Tops makes a great aftermarket poling platform.  I have had 2 boats with their product on them.

September 14, 2007, 12:19:12 AM
Reply #5

martyg

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:19:12 AM »
Quote from: "Undertow2"
martyg-

Sorry dude, that post came out wrong.  I think of poling platforms and I think of stereotypical technical poling skiffs or flats boats.  Perhaps I am incorrect, but I am not too sure they are used elsewhere for much else useful.  As always, I could be wrong.  I have seen some silly larger boats here in Florida with the poling platform.  As for one acting as a casting deck, sure.  I can pole around and keep my rod between my knees to fire off casts if my guy on the bow chokes a cast or what not.  Have never seen one on a 17 AS.
My wife is from Anacortes and I have fished/boated extensively up in your neck of the woods.
Right near me in Tarpon Springs, FL. Quality T-Tops makes a great aftermarket poling platform.  I have had 2 boats with their product on them.

Thanks man.  This time of year the estuaries are filled with 5 - 20 pound fish.  We sneak around in skinny water and sight cast for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal