Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Ocean Pro or Standard VRO, quality?  (Read 929 times)

May 25, 2007, 10:07:27 AM
Read 929 times

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Ocean Pro or Standard VRO, quality?
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
My 1989 Johnson VRO 225 TXCE is a standard engine. Having replaced the water pump, plugs, removed the lower pannels, removed the carb cover, this engine shows literally no corosion or rust anywhere except for the zincs I replaced. She's running great. Is there somewhere on the engine where I should be especially aware of for corosion/rust etc; I bought her used and she was used a lot in salt water but always, washed, flushed, well maintained.  Since she doesn't have "ocean pro in her title should I be concerned?   Thanks,   Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

June 03, 2007, 08:56:48 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:48 PM »
Gary,
Ocean Pro's and Ocean Runners had extensive coating processes to prevent corrosion.  Other than that, they are virtually identical.  The key is flushing and keeping the lower unit out of the water when not in use.  Remember to get your 100 hour service done, and pay particular attention to your water pump.  If it hasn't been inspected/changed in the last 2 years, get it done!  Cheap insurance.  Happy boating!

Bob

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 03, 2007, 10:15:52 PM
Reply #2

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »
change the water pump and go fishing  :wink:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 04, 2007, 09:10:37 AM
Reply #3

gcapehart

• Information Offline
100 service
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »
I did flush all last season and she ran great. This spring I did change the entire waterpump housing with impeller, putting it back together,"$#)!@<?:" let say they could not have made dealing with a shift rod more difficult. After four attempts, at seven turns or 26 15/16" she runs great. Put in new thermostats, changed the lower end lubricant with 80-90, new plugs, did the Seafoam treatment, new fuel/waterseparator, new tiny inline fuel filter in the next to  the VRO, new prime bulb on the fuel line, batteries were new last year and are fully changed. Any thoughts on what elese to check?  Put new zincs on too. Yes we have been fishing once. Got skunked.  Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal