Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Gods of fiberglass and steel #1  (Read 965 times)

April 15, 2007, 12:11:45 PM
Read 965 times

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Gods of fiberglass and steel #1
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
New here. As gas prices rise to support world terrorism would any of the following help? We have a 25XF with a 225 Johnson 2 stroke. Would a 4 blade prop plane her at a lower and more economical RPM? I am repainting the bottom after sanding, stripping, touch-up and then putting Pettit Hydrocoat on. Is there any other wax/polish which improves economy? We have an aluminum tank that last year at the survey was rated great. The girl is 1982. She runs great and shows her heels to many a Grady White etc. Also last summer I got a great buy on a 20# CQR. Our bottoms in Maine range to evrything. Any tips if this is a safe all around anchor? We still have the Danforth too. Lastly, a great father-n-law gave us a Garmin GPS 498. chartplotter. The model number may be wrong. How accurate are these? My dash speedometer, and sonar/fishfinder show slightly lower speeds. By the way any skippers with straight scoop please opine and inform.At 58 some say I am on the wrong side of the curve but I try. I truly appreciate your insight. Oh she ran great last season. The Penobscot is clear except for occasional ice rafts. By the way i prefer to sleep in the boat than with my wife. Is this temporary? Shucks, she bought the boat for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

April 15, 2007, 12:45:21 PM
Reply #1

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »
As with any boat, maintaining a clean bottom basic to keeping her as efficient as possible.  Special bottom paints will not make a measurable difference to the boat's performance.  Correct prop for your boat is one that will allow the engine to reach rated max. RPM's at wide open throttle.

If you're looking to save significant fuel, put a kicker motor on the stern.  Use it when you're just poking along or trolling.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

April 16, 2007, 10:22:05 AM
Reply #2

pete

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »
The garmin unit is pretty accurate.I would say that your in dash gauges are off,but as long as its close,dont worry about it.My garmin is +/- 2 mph versus what my yamaha digital gauge says.
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

April 16, 2007, 11:15:52 AM
Reply #3

gcapehart

• Information Offline
Thanks for the replies
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
Do you have any ice rafts in the bay? Just kidding but we do. You sun-belters don't know how we cherish our summer. The wood stove is burning quite well now. Thanks again.  Gary
Maine25XF. Late to the gate we love our boat. Others are humbled by the Sally-Carol. We treat her like family, only better! If you have any tips, insights, or positions on the health benefits of two-stroke exhaust,  please opine and inform. Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal