Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Direction of PLY in an Aquasport transom?  (Read 185 times)

September 22, 2023, 09:19:48 AM
Read 185 times

jswd32

• Information Offline
Direction of PLY in an Aquasport transom?
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:19:48 AM »
HI, My boat builder is going to close off my transom and extend my keel to link in with pod/bathing platform and the heavier outboard. He has asked what direction does the ply in an Aquasport transom run?

He talked about having to recore a transom due to poorly laid PLY that allowed maximum water ingress due to the way the ply was running. It kind of of made sense to me, but I am hoping those that have pulled the core before, may be able to enlighten me?

I appreciate through the ages different techniques may of been applied. Mine is a 1986 250XF.

I was surprised when removing both of my Johnson 130 2 strokes, that the wood in the mounting holes was was A1, however higher up there was a hole hidden behind the jackplate, where you could pull sawdust out of.

I'm hoping the rot only goes down so far, so that majority of transom core can be saved.

Kind regards

Jonathon

September 22, 2023, 10:40:20 AM
Reply #1

dbiscayne

• Information Offline
Re: Direction of PLY in an Aquasport transom?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 10:40:20 AM »
If there is wood in the transom vs. a synthetic core, it's going to be plywood which is constructed with each layer at an opposing angle - 0, 90, 0, 90... So direction of the grain in the exposed face isn't critical as the next layer is 90 degrees to that. Should the outer layers be laid in a specific direction? Never heard of that being a concern. As long as the wood is prepped and sealed including overdrilling hole sizes then backfilling w resin then drilling the proper size hole you shouldn't have to worry about water migration.

September 26, 2023, 06:35:31 AM
Reply #2

jswd32

• Information Offline
Re: Direction of PLY in an Aquasport transom?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 06:35:31 AM »
Thanks dbiscayne, Thats brilliant, really appreciate you taking to time to explain and post an image. I have passed it on and he's happy to hear that!

Kind regards

Jonathon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal