Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1974 22-2 Steering Cable Length & oil hose length  (Read 603 times)

November 21, 2011, 06:38:02 PM
Read 603 times

BTF112989

• Information Offline
1974 22-2 Steering Cable Length & oil hose length
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:38:02 PM »
Hey everybody,
I am rigging up my new 22-2 hull with my 2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI soon.  I was wondering what length steering cable will be needed for a 22-2?  I bought a 15' teleflex steering cable a year ago for the boat I'm swapping everything over from.  Will that be long enough, or do I need to order a new one?  My console is set back a little further than normal.  My rigging tube comes out in the front right corner of the console.  I'm assuming the throttle cable will be the same length as the steering cable.

Also, how long will my remote oil tank lines need to be & where is a good place to mount the tank?  In my other boat, it was just mounted in the bilge.  

The plan for this weekend is to mount the engine up to the aquasport & try to run some of the cables.  

Sorry for all of these questions, but I have one more...

The boat previously had a johnson binnacle control mounted on the console which is more square than the yamaha binnacle control.  I was thinking about either putting a piece of teak or starboard over the larger hole(wider & shorter) on the console, then mounting the yamaha binnacle control to that.  Is this what yall would do, or would you go about it another way?  I hate putting more holes in a console.  I was also thinking about mounting the key switch & safety lanyard to the piece of starboard as well.

Here is the link to the for sale thread on THT, so yall can see how far back the console is set.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-sale-wanted/368458-restored-1974-aquasport-22-2-a.html

Thanks everybody!
-Ben
1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Tandem axle aluminum trailer

November 21, 2011, 09:47:02 PM
Reply #1

slvrlng

• Information Offline
Re: 1974 22-2 Steering Cable Length & oil hose length
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:47:02 PM »
I just measured my 83 for hydraulic line length for the steering and came up with 16 feet. This is from the helm and teleflex said to add 2 feet to that for a total of 18 feet. My console is in the original position and yours looks set back a good bit. Are you going to move it forward? The one thing you don't want is to be short!
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

November 21, 2011, 10:15:25 PM
Reply #2

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
Ben,

Nice ride :thumright:

With regard to the binnacle...a routed piece of 3/8th's to half inch starboard should work just fine.

November 21, 2011, 11:22:10 PM
Reply #3

BTF112989

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Well, looks like this is going to be a close one with the 15' cable.  I am going to keep the console where it is for now.  I like all of the deck space up front.  I measured 3 feet from the engine to the starboard side, then 9 feet from the transom to a place on the gunnel even to where the rigging tube comes out.  I hope the remaining 3 feet will reach.  Does the rigging tube run along the outside of the main stringer? Where does your rigging tube exit underneath your console?  If I lift up on my front bench seat on the front of my console, my battery box is butted up into the starboard corner with the rigging tube exiting right behind it.  So I will have to run that cable the 12 feet to the console rigging tube exit, then back toward the stern some(once it emerges from the rigging tube) because my rigging tube is set so far forward in the console.  I hope that makes sense.  I will just have to test it out and see.  If my cable won't reach & I have to buy a new one anyway, would it be worth it to go to a hydraulic steering system?

Anyone have mounting ideas for the remote oil tank?

I will pick up a piece of starboard from west marine tomorrow that is 1/2" for the binnacle mount.  Hopefully its in stock.

Where have yall mounted your ignition switch/safety lanyard on the console?
1974 Aquasport 22-2
2001 Yamaha 150 HPDI
Owens & Sons Tandem axle aluminum trailer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal