Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Bennet Sport Tab Confirmation  (Read 304 times)

March 12, 2012, 09:28:03 PM
Read 304 times

225Explor

• Information Offline
Bennet Sport Tab Confirmation
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Just triple checking one last time before I pull the plug on the purchase............M120's are the way to go for my 225 correct ???? AND silly question up next, what trim position should my motor be in if I am using the Bennet Auto tab control ??  yes, I am a newbie to trim tabs as I have always trimmed the motor.
1995 Aquasport 225 Explorer

26\' Pacemaker Wahoo

March 12, 2012, 09:48:11 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Bennet Sport Tab Confirmation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »
Well I can't tell you that the M 120s are the ones you need but...

Once you have trim tabs installed and ready to use, there's a learning curve associated with every boat. While like models share similar weight and features when sitting in the boat yard, once someone owns one that starts a whole new set of rules. Everyone is somewhat different and the same can be said about boats. How many people on board, fuel, food, bait, beer? You get the idea so.....

You need to work through the various combinations of BOTH tab settings and motor trim. That isn't something right out of the box but takes seat time in varying sea conditions under different loadings. The auto feature is designed to be set ONCE you establish your best running trim. The module adjusts to movements in the boat and sea conditions and IMHO performs best during long runs in moderate seas.

So to get the best from your investment, be prepared to "play" with your new toy. The best part is discovering where you boat "feels" the most comfortable, backed by your performance indicators i.e. the tach, GPS indicated speed and fuel gauge/monitoring system. The "correct" setting are the ones you find for your boat. LED indicators are nice (unlike some, I like them) but they just help you get a starting point quickly, afterward you need to tweak the tabs and trim to get it just right. You may be surprised at what the LEDs look like when your really running smooth.

Good luck. :thumleft:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 12, 2012, 09:49:50 PM
Reply #2

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
Re: Bennet Sport Tab Confirmation
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:50 PM »
I'm not sure about the auto control.  But you generally use the trim tabs to trim the boat to the optimum plane and then you trim the engine so it is parallel to the  to the water flow.

Here is a link to Bennetts guide on how to use the tabs:

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/guidetotrimtabs5.php
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal