Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Which year Aquasport should I get?  (Read 938 times)

December 31, 2008, 09:44:26 PM
Read 938 times

drevca96

• Information Offline
Which year Aquasport should I get?
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:44:26 PM »
A friend's uncle had offered me his 1973 Aquasport 222 with I believe a 225 mid 90's Yamaha for 3k.  I havent seen the boat but I know the 73 models are good looking boats.  Here's my scenario 73 models have beautiful lines but somehow there is something about the flatbacks.  I've been looking for a boat for a while now, will it be a mistake if I pass up on the 73?  and stick to a flatback to which I somehow feel a couple points nicer just on looks I guess (just my opinion).

Can someone convince me if I'm doing the right or wrong thing.  

Something about me; boat will be used on Atlantic side of Florida,  solely will be used for fishing, I kinda prefer to stick on the calm waters but there might be a day I'd like to go out on more open waters,  not too crazy going out on rough days. . . .on occassion I might take 2 or 3 people.

If only the 73 was a flatback, they stopped making the flatback on 71 right?  am I losing a lot if I pick the 73 other than what my heart was set to.

Any information would be appreciated . . . .Thank You

December 31, 2008, 09:53:16 PM
Reply #1

71flatback

• Information Offline
Re: Which year Aquasport should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
If you don't do a whole lot of offshore i would definitely wait and get a flatback.
1971 aquasport 22-2 flatback, Work in progress

January 01, 2009, 01:13:36 AM
Reply #2

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:13:36 AM »
I looked at both before buying my 73. I think the semi-v models are a much nicer boat, ride in both then choose. It will be a semi-v hands down, they a better riding boat, turn better, less pounding etc. The only difference between the two is draft, you might see a 2" difference if that. Problem with the flatbacks are they are nose heavy, the front v will ground out before the flat stern will. That would be the only pro of the flatback, 2" of draft doesn't seem worth all the other negatives.

January 01, 2009, 06:52:06 PM
Reply #3

Mike Answeeney

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »
My AS is a 73 22-2.  The deadrise is only 15 degree. It rides smooth and dry in light chop, turns without sliding, no bow steering. It rides in very shallow water. Just a few days ago i was out with a push pole on the flats at low tide in just under 2 feet of water.  With a Porta Bracket I can jack up the engine to motor in anything the boat can float in.  
I know there are ALOT of flatback fans out there but i think the shallow V gives you the best of both.   :thumright:

If you ever make it over to Tampa I'll take ya out for a ride in mine.
Mike Answeeney
1973/2008 22’2
Aquaholic

January 02, 2009, 12:52:43 AM
Reply #4

drevca96

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:52:43 AM »
Seems like the 73 is starting to sound good.  I know my desire is based on the flatback looks  but I guess my decision should be based on looks vs practicality.  Somehow practicality is winning me over.  By the way are 73 models 12 deg. or 15 deg.?

Also, I know I still havent seen the boat considering my friend had said that the boat looks good, is 3k a good/bad/great deal?  I think he said he'll put in an aluminum trailer with it.

Thanks for the good and helpful responses. . . .

January 05, 2009, 11:41:33 AM
Reply #5

Laz

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
I was pondering the same issue between the two of them.  A friend of mine put it this way...."Many more days of fishing can be done on an AS with the shallow vee!"  That helped me make up my mind.  As far as the price goes, if he throws in the trailer I think it's a great price!  If you don't take it I know someone who will....

Laz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal