You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: moving the console  (Read 214 times)

January 25, 2023, 05:20:03 PM
Read 214 times

FiremanSailorJim

• Information Offline
moving the console
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
I just picked up an '84 19-6 and want to use it as a dive boat on Lake Michigan. I plan to take 4 divers out (me + 3) and want to get opinions.

1 Can I move the console further back to leave a larger deck forward for tanks and gear boxes to balance out the trim. It does not have any seating behind the console so I want to add a bench and am considering a splash guard since the transom is so low.
2 What size outboard should I get. I have a 115 Force 2 cycle available but am not sure that will get me on plane with 4 divers and gear.
FiremanSailorJim

February 16, 2023, 03:25:26 PM
Reply #1

Fish Head

• Information Offline
  • MidWest
Re: moving the console
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 03:25:26 PM »
Lake Michigan?? “We’re going to need a bigger boat”. On really calm day probably? Loading up any 20 footer on Lake Michigan would be an adventure for me, maybe your used to it? At least you have dive equipment so you don’t drown right away. I would feel more secure if it was a CCP. A 115 will get you on plane and if your in waves over 2 feet your not going to be cruising anywhere quick anyways unless you don’t mind your equipment getting bounced around.  Probably want the lightest motor with most hp you can get especially for your requirements. A 150hp older 2 stroke are light but thirsty. Some like the Suk 140hp but still heavier than the 2 stroke. Good luck and be safe!

March 09, 2023, 11:04:42 AM
Reply #2

kleary4

• Information Offline
Re: moving the console
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »
I have a 19-6.  Last year I raised the console 8" and moved if forward by a few inches.  It's a pretty easy matter.  You just need to be careful now the harnesses, steering gear, and fuel lines drop into the trough leading aft.  I have hydraulic steering, so that was no problem.  And if you're moving everything aft, the the lengths should be OK.

This will also be a good time to check out your fuel tank.  My stock aluminum tank was full of holes . . . which is why I did the project in the first place, haha!

Btw, I have a Honda 90 4-Stroke on mine.  Only good for 30mph tops, but a real tractor in a variety of loads and conditions.
1975 19-6
2002 Honda 90 Outboard
2021 Fishmaster Pro Series T-Top
(Upgrade every 20 or 30 years whether she needs it or not)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal