You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: '69 19-1 complete rebuild  (Read 2938 times)

February 06, 2020, 08:35:58 PM
Read 2938 times

Enginerd

• Information Offline
'69 19-1 complete rebuild
« on: February 06, 2020, 08:35:58 PM »
Hey folks. I've been lurking some time, and just finally getting around to starting a build thread. I'm located in Massachusetts, on the north shore. I'm an avid striper fly fisherman, and looking to start guiding. I've got another boat, but really wanted something in the 18-20ft range, with a hull draft less than 9 inches, weight under 2000 pounds for getting around our shallow marsh channels and sandbars, and getting tight to structure. I wanted something that would run well with modest power, and not suck on gas. And something a little unique. Enter the 19-1

I picked it up last june. I knew I was getting a complete project boat, in fact, that's what I wanted. I want to lay the boat out for my intended use, i want to know its sound, and I want ot know every square inch of it.

I want a 3 man boat with a simple layout, one angler on the bow, and particularly enough room aft to fish one angler in the stern without crowding me at the helm. I wanted something with a decent bow flare and a little bit of freeboard, as we get some strong chop around here. 10 foot tides will make 2-3ft standing waves in some of the rips we drift. I want clean decks and gunwhales, free of fly-line-snagging hardware. I want something easy to clean, with durable finishes. I want a closed transom to prevent shipping water when backing into chop, and I want it to self bail really well, I hate having water in the cockpit.

Short list of plans for the boat:
Enclosed Transom
Transom bracket (<24")
Center console
Flush mount electronics
Leaning Post
Under gunwhale rod storage
Raised decks
115 outboard, probably two stroke.
Epoxy used for all structure under the sole
Poly above sole
Gelcoat inside and out

February 06, 2020, 08:52:27 PM
Reply #1

Enginerd

• Information Offline
Re: '69 19-1 complete rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 08:52:27 PM »
I picked away at stripping the boat last summer and fall. It was in really tough shape. Someone did a hack job replacing the decks at some point. The cap was beat to hell, so i cut it up, I'll make a custom cap. The casting platform was solid, but I won't be re-using it. The console is decent. but too heavy. If anyone wants the console, you're welcome to it. I also cut out the liner. It's only a thin wall of mat, adds more weight then stiffness. I will bond support ribs to add stiffness to the hull sides. It's alarming how much they flex without the cap and liner in place.

The previous hack also did such nice things such as use copper pipe for the fuel fill, glass over the limber holes/tubes in the stringers, completely over-foam under the decks, and the list goes on. It was a night mare.

February 06, 2020, 09:17:43 PM
Reply #2

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
Fast forward to a heated shop  :mrgreen:

I built a cradle for the hull and a dust/spray booth to enclose the boat and keep from destroying the shop. Transom is gone, and stringer foam removed. it's alarming how much water was in the stringer foam. I must've pulled 250 pounds of wet foam out of the stringers.

It just so happens the unit next to the shop is a commercial spray foam application company. I am going to have them spray new foam into the stringers, they use closed cell polyurethane just like the marine stuff. He has long enough hoses to run from his shop into mine, and the volume is nothing to him. He said it won't take him more than an hour to foam them, I won't tell you guys what he quoted me for spraying it  :mrgreen:

I picked up a new tank and test fit it last night. It's a moeller 35 gallon tank. Here's how she sits right now:

Unfortunately the tank does not sit all the way down in between the stringers, the tank width is 16 inches, and the base of the stringers is ~15 inches. I will build bulkheads and stringers to support the tank ~3 inches off the keel. It will be a snug fit beneath the deck, good thing I am raising the decks. i want to raise them 2 inches, but may have to go 3. I will know once I get the tank mounting ironed out.

I'm going back and forth between running the fill line to the gunwhale or having a fill located in the side of the console. Putting it in the side of the console will be much simpler for routing, but harder to reach at the gas pump. I'm going to trailer this boat. Decisions, decisions...

February 06, 2020, 10:35:36 PM
Reply #3

wingnut

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:35:36 PM »
Looking great! I rescued my 170 from down in your area last summer. Are you looking to splash this season?

Pretty sure I just put that same tank in, though it fit perfectly between the stringers on my ‘86 170.

I have similar hopes for throwing flies at summer stripers, if I can get mine up and running in time.

February 07, 2020, 07:23:03 AM
Reply #4

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:03 AM »
Enginerd, I repaired the orientation of your pics and saved them. To avoid problems in the future when using a phone to take pics, hold the phone horizontal with the lens to the left.

The clean out of the hull looks great. Remember that the poly tank will expand 1-2% in all directions once gas gets inside it.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 07, 2020, 08:12:18 AM
Reply #5

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »
Thanks Rick.

Wing nut, I hope to finish it for this season. That said I’m trying to buy a house, so that could slow me down. I’ve got another boat that’s ready to go, so that could slow me down too, especially once the fish arrive. Where are you located? We should fish sometime

February 07, 2020, 08:58:36 AM
Reply #6

wingnut

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »
I'm located in southern Maine. Still getting to know the waters up here - I moved up from NC (wife is from Maine). Awesome area though, just wish the boating season was longer.

Most of my fly fishing has been fresh water, bass and trout. Trying to tie up some good patterns over the winter so I can catch the bigguns this summer! Always up for exploring and fishing new areas though.

February 07, 2020, 12:21:12 PM
Reply #7

umecheme

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Nice to see another 19-1!  I'll be following your progress closely.  I notice some subtle differences between yours and mine, mine is a '71. 

February 07, 2020, 05:41:32 PM
Reply #8

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
I'm located in southern Maine. Still getting to know the waters up here - I moved up from NC (wife is from Maine). Awesome area though, just wish the boating season was longer.

Most of my fly fishing has been fresh water, bass and trout. Trying to tie up some good patterns over the winter so I can catch the bigguns this summer! Always up for exploring and fishing new areas though.

I'm an hour south of the Maine NH boarder. Let's get after them in May, they'll be here a week or two before they reach you. I'm really trying to crush it on the 'sport before the season starts because I know how hard it will be to choose boat building over chasing fish.

February 08, 2020, 07:51:49 AM
Reply #9

wingnut

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 07:51:49 AM »
Absolutely, let’s make it happen!

February 17, 2020, 09:45:16 PM
Reply #10

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:45:16 PM »
Slowly but surely moving along.

I took good advantage of President's Day. I went to Integrity Marine (Barbour Plastics) in Brockton MA today. Got to check out their factory where they produce rub rail and such. Came home with 20 feet of spray rail, which they were kind enough to cut into two 10 foot lengths for me. These guys were super friendly and helpful, I'll definitely be going to them for rubrail when the time comes.

Also I chopped a bulkhead to fit my new tank

This was a good step because the tank height dictates the sole height. I will be raising the sole 3.5 inches.

And I cut my new transom core. I'm using 3/4in okoume.

If anyone is curious, I used an electric die grinder with a carbide burr to clean up the inside radii around the edge of the transom, made quick work out of getting the remaining old bedding compound out of the corners.

February 17, 2020, 09:54:10 PM
Reply #11

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:10 PM »
I'm starting to plan my spray rail installation. I'm using the Barbour Plastics R1059 profile. I'm pretty sure I want to run the rail right along the chine.

My plan right now is to bolt them from the inside; every 18 inches or so, drill and tap the PVC rail. The thing I cant decide on is how I want to bond/seal them. Most of the fasteners will be under the sole and inside the outer stringers. I don't want these to leak or come loose, which tempts me to bond them to the hull with epoxy. Then again, If I ever wanted to take them off, it would suck to have to cut them off. This is making me consider bedding the rails with 5200. Thoughts?

February 18, 2020, 05:10:19 AM
Reply #12

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:19 AM »
I’d be inclined to use the 5200, or if you want to go high tech, methacrylate.  As temperatures change, PVC and your glass hull will have different expansion rates.  A flexible material will accommodate without cracking.  If you’re paranoid, you could glass over the nuts on your inside hull

February 18, 2020, 06:16:46 AM
Reply #13

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 06:16:46 AM »
Looking good :thumleft:
Take a look in lilrichards build - he installed spray rails https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=957.0
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 20, 2020, 06:55:09 PM
Reply #14

Enginerd

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
Thanks Rick. I checked out richards installation. I have decided to bed the rails in 5200. I'm settling in on drilling and tapping the rails and bolting through the inside. That way I won't have to fill countersunk holes.

I made a bit of progress last night. I got the the transom core(s) bonded together. I have a bunch of welding clamps I thought would be sufficient. I mixed up epoxy and cabosil and layed on a heavy coat with a toothed trowel. I found out quickly the welding clamps were not enough to keep the two pieces of ply from skating around on one another. Luckily I had some SS trim screws handy, and used some of those to get the pieces aligned and compressed properly. Seeing the epoxy running out evenly around the perimeter eased my mind. It was definitely a pucker moment when I realized the clamps weren't enough. I used about two quarts of epoxy/cabosil mix, which was around 75/25.

I'm using TotalBoat 2:1 epoxy from Jamestown Distributors. This stuff is thick to work with at 65 degrees. Pumping is way too slow for volume jobs, be advised. I used mixing cups with ratio scales on the side, and poured from the containers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal