Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 85' CCP re-build  (Read 882 times)

August 06, 2018, 11:46:14 AM
Read 882 times

jeffelectric1

• Information Offline
85' CCP re-build
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:46:14 AM »
I saw an old post with a pic of gran398's restored 222 CCP. I tried to PM him, but his box was full, so maybe someone on here knows him. I wanted to discuss his re-build because I just bought an '85 222 CCP (w/coffin box) that needs a complete cut and gut. Deck has several soft spots and there was some shade-tree fiberglass work done on the forward starboard side of the hull and the bow cap area. I am also seeing some un-finished, raw plywood inside the anchor locker liner area. I even noticed the console shelf under the controls is unfinished plywood. It appears maybe it was painted at one time. Was wondering if the factory put the boat out like this, or this was done by previous owners? The transom area needs a re-design and I know there are some guys on here who have different solutions. Although I am not discounting a gill bracket, I am afraid I would change the weight displacement and cause the bow to sit high at rest. Gran398's restore looks like he may have raised the transom slightly and removed the splash well ("transom robber"). On my boat, I do have the advantage of having a friend in the boat restoration/fiberglass repair business, so anything I can do to help make our job easier will be a good thing.  If anybody has any pics/advice/insight on this hull, it would be greatly appreciated, as I am preparing for my "learning" experience. Thx!  Jeff

August 06, 2018, 02:27:50 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: 85' CCP re-build
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
Sorry,
But Gran never had a CCP. His 22-2 was an Osprey rebuild.

We have had several 222 CCP rebuilds here and right in the middle of a 200 and I believe another 222 so....

Check here:
https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?board=19.0

JD (John Dupree) rebuilt his transom and removed the motor/splash well. You may be thinking of his build.
https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=10197.0

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

August 07, 2018, 10:42:45 AM
Reply #2

jeffelectric1

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:42:45 AM »
Bob, I just spent an hour going through JD's post and I really like that transom re-build. I didn't see a pic of those 7" rectangular scuppers installed though, but I think that setup should keep the feet dry. I have that same issue on my 19' KenCraft (other boat) and it is my only complaint on that hull. Come Oct., I will be taking my "new" 222 CCP over to my fiberglass buddy in Wilmington, NC, to start the project. I'm going to stay over there a few days to help on the demo' because I want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly on this hull. I will definitely be sharing those transom re-build pics with my buddy, so thx for the direction!  Jeff

August 07, 2018, 02:28:40 PM
Reply #3

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
Jeff,

The only thing I would change with the whole setup was the location of the rectangular scuppers.  I should have placed them more towards the corners because water would pool in the corners if boat was not level.  Not really a big deal.  I liked the rectangular scuppers because water would exit the cockpit much quicker.

The big rectangular hatch added to the new deck was perfect.  It gave me plenty of bilge access which is critical.  I mounted a ground bar on the stringer under that hatch which made wiring so much easier since I had a ground in the stern.  I also had my wash down pump and trim tab control box mounted to the stringers under there.  Again, I had access to everything.

As you know, your current scuppers have water draining from the deck though a hose, exiting the thru hull near the water line.  It was very common for those hoses and thru hulls to leak with age.  My rebuild eliminated those and water drains straight out the cockpit into the splash well.  That was one of the main reasons I decided for the modifications.
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

August 07, 2018, 10:11:41 PM
Reply #4

jeffelectric1

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:11:41 PM »
John, understood on those scuppers. Glad to hear that solution has worked well. What brand are those, they are larger than most? I am just seeing your post tonight, as I was looking for those pics of your transom re-build to send to my fiberglass fabricating friend. Yours really looks like a good setup and eliminated the gill bracket option for me, which although looks nice, changes the weight balance on these hulls. I have seen many pics of the 222 CCP w/gill bracket riding bow-high while at rest. Also really like the large deck hatch for the bilge access. The factory version is horrible and being able to mount those pumps to the stringer and still have easy access is great. Easier the better when it comes to maintenance.

I will post pics of the demo' on mine when started, should happen late Sept., or 1st week of Oct. I'm real excited to get started on this boat. I honestly have not found a more aesthetic looking, 22' hull out there with the dead-rise and all-around freeboard of this one. That + all the great reviews you regulars have written has made me a believer. Now time to put my $ + time where my mouth is, ha,ha! Thx again! Jeff

August 08, 2018, 09:36:40 AM
Reply #5

CTsalt12

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
I don't have a CCP but on my 89 175 there is also unfinished plywood in the anchor locker and also between my two front bow hatches.  I think it came from the factory that way.

I'm interested to see how you finish the anchor locker wood, and if there's a way to do it properly without taking the cap off...
Jimbo
1989 175 Osprey

August 08, 2018, 06:00:35 PM
Reply #6

jeffelectric1

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »
CTSalt, Same on this 222 CCP! There is un-finished plywood in the anchor locker underneath the cap and inside the part the hatch is cut into (bulkhead?). I also think the factory put a painted plywood shelf in the console, but that's not a worry, as that one will get a re-design, or replacement. The deck also has un-finished plywood beneath, hence all the soft spots. Will be completely cutting out the deck. As far as taking the cap off, I mentioned this to my fiberglass buddy, who is in the boat fiberglass repair/restoration business full-time.  When I suggested it might need to be done, he said only if necessary because of the hull warping and all the precautions you have to take to prevent that. He just got all my pics this morning, so I will relay you what he thinks on that.  Jeff

January 22, 2019, 10:11:32 AM
Reply #7

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
CTSalt, Same on this 222 CCP! There is un-finished plywood in the anchor locker underneath the cap and inside the part the hatch is cut into (bulkhead?).
- Yes you are right - that plywood is painted gray but basically unfinished.

I also think the factory put a painted plywood shelf in the console, but that's not a worry, as that one will get a re-design, or replacement.
-  Right again!  Painted plywood for the shelf in a CCP console. 

The deck also has un-finished plywood beneath, hence all the soft spots. Will be completely cutting out the deck.
-  No, the bottom of the decking got a coat of resin - but not a layer of glass or something that would last 30 years. 

As far as taking the cap off, I mentioned this to my fiberglass buddy, who is in the boat fiberglass repair/restoration business full-time.  When I suggested it might need to be done, he said only if necessary because of the hull warping and all the precautions you have to take to prevent that. He just got all my pics this morning, so I will relay you what he thinks on that.  Jeff

-  People do it both ways - some take the cap off, some leave it on.  There is a good deal of foam between the liner and the hull, but the cap is basically glued and screwed on.  Good luck with your project! 
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal