Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: How crazy is this? Removing liner and going with cap only on CCP  (Read 1523 times)

June 20, 2016, 08:20:29 AM
Read 1523 times

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
As I work through the rebuild of my 200 CCP, I'm considering that will make it more fishable.  I'm now thinking about cutting away the liner and going with cap only.  The pluses as I see them:

More deck space
Ability to brace thighs against gunwale
Access to reinforce the hull deck seam and through-bolt the joint.
More storage options forward for gaffs, PFDs, etc...
Access to re-core the cap

Now the concerns:

I'll need to reenforce the hull sides (would add 1-2 layers 1708 plus strategically placed troughs & rod holders)
I'm a bit concerned about the look.  The high cap on the CCPs present a different challenge that the Ospreys.  Since the hull deck joint will be lower than the inboard cap in the bow, I'll need to come up with a visually pleasing way to deal with the joint.

Here's the cut line that I'm thinking about:

There's 1/4" plywood as a coring at the hull-deck seam.  Most of it is rotten, and the glass is pretty thin.  This mod will allow me to reenforce this area.

What are your thoughts?  Is there anything that I've missed?

June 20, 2016, 12:09:56 PM
Reply #1

love2fish

• Information Offline
Re: How crazy is this? Removing liner and going with cap only on CCP
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:56 PM »
there is a build done by a member on here named SHINE. I believe its a flatback that he rebuilt a few years ago, he removed the liner and beefed up the sides with cousa and glass. if you are going that far, and your concerns are also about the overall "look",,, why not just completely do away with the existing cap and build what you want from scratch. if you have the skills and ability to redo a floor and hull, you can build a cap..

or sell what you have and find a different project hull to use it's pieces or full hull on your existing boat.
Chris
\'74 22-2
Member #921

June 20, 2016, 02:36:50 PM
Reply #2

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »
Thanks, Chris.  I'll check out Shine's Flatback build.  He did a 23 Seacraft where he removed the liner too.  I like the concept, since it gives the fish ability of a three piece construction.

I like the lines of the CCP cap.  It's one of the distinctive things about the look of the CCPs.  My only concern about the looks is the hull deck seam being visible on the inside.  The post is just a gut-check that I haven't missed anything.  And to see if there are better ideas.

June 20, 2016, 04:04:55 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
Since the cap and inwales rise up... yes you will see the hull/deck joint from the inside of the boat.  Also you would have some considerable finish work to do to make it look right.  How close can you get to the sides before your feet hit?  I think you''l only gain an inch or so of foot space...
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

June 20, 2016, 04:34:20 PM
Reply #4

love2fish

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »
I wonder if adding maybe 1.5" bolsters could give you the feeling/perception of having the cap/liner modified. your thighs/knees would hit the top of the inside of the cap where the bolsters were before your lower legs were if it was a straight wall...

Bruce is right. the liner probably still goes down to the edge of the hullsides- making removing the liner irrelevant for the amount of work required. I can measure mine tonight, on the leading edge and aft edge of the console for a point of reference for you before you do any cutting.
Chris
\'74 22-2
Member #921

June 20, 2016, 04:41:44 PM
Reply #5

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »
Aft, it's maybe 1.5"  forward, I think there's at least 3-4" to gain.  Plus, this will allow me to address reinforcing the hull deck seam without dealing with the full weight of the liner.

June 20, 2016, 09:37:44 PM
Reply #6

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:44 PM »
Don't forget that liner is a significant part of the structure of the boat. Simply beefing up the hull sides will not equal the added rigidity the liner adds to the structure.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

June 21, 2016, 05:10:34 AM
Reply #7

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 05:10:34 AM »
+ 1^^^^^
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

June 21, 2016, 08:09:15 AM
Reply #8

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
Thanks to all for the input.  I understand that the hull would need to be stiffened.  Many builders on the Seacraft board take on this kind of project and either core the hull sides or laminate troughs to stiffen the hull and support the cap/gunwales.  Here's a link to a Seacraft rebuild on THT that shows the kind of thing that I'm contemplating: http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how-s-kerno-memorial-forum/596152-20ft-seacraft-rebuild-3.html 

One of the reason that I'm contemplating this is, I am starting to see it as the straitest line to the strongest finished project.  The hull deck seam needs work.  The calk is dry and worthless.  The 1/4" ply core is rotted and there's only 1/8" of sound glass at the seam.  The foam in the hull sides is brittle and turns to dust when I rub it with my finger.  Without these points of contact, I doubt the liner is doing much to stiffen the hull.

The least I could do is unscrew the deck seam, clean it up, seal with 5200 and screw it.  The most I could do is remove the liner, remove the rotten ply, reenforce the hull, record the cap and put it all back together.  It seams that the going to cap only is a middle ground because it won't require as manny hands to move it around.

Anyway, I realize that Aquasports have been liner boats almost from the beginning, so I'm going to be cautious.  I have time to make the call, since I want to finish the transom and get the stringers tied back in before I even consider removing the liner/cap.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal