Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > Miscellaneous Aquasport Hull Info

Secondary HIN Help Needed

(1/2) > >>

markmg434:
My son purchased a 1977 Aquasport 17 ft Center Console. We are trying to locate the hull identification number. I believe it is to be on the transom on the back. But the previous owner modified the top and inside of the transom to make a live well and I believe he covered it up. Why he would do this I have no idea. we have the number on the registration paperwork but need to be able to take a picture of it on the boat.

Can you tell me if there is a second location for this number on the hull? My son recently left to serve in the Army and I am trying resolve this for him.

mshugg:
The second hull ID plate requirement was put in place well after 1977, so yours won’t have one.  Your best bet is to get a plate engraved and attach it to the transom.  You can even get a second plate and put it in a secondary location.

wingtime:
77 would have a riveted on aluminum HIN plate.  I doubt there is a hidden one.  If so I would suspect it is under the rubrail...  but unlikely.

markmg434:
The problem is he is trying to register this in NJ and it was purchase from NY. In NY you do not need a title for a boat manufactured in the 70's to get a registration. In NJ to apply for everything you need a photo of the HIN to submit it with the paperwork. How do you do that when it is covered with fiberglass from someones modification. I don't know if you can get the layer of fiberglass off to expose it.  If there is no plate, this will be a nightmare.

mshugg:
You can mount a new plate and take a photo of that.  I have the plate from my 1979 CCP, but it is unreadable.  I purchased stamped SS replacement from national band and tag.

It seems to me that your only option is to mount replacement tags and send in the photo.  77s didn’t have a tag, and most likely the transom tag was removed, not covered up.  NJ doesn’t even need to know that it’s a replacement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version