Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: cost of 71 22' flatback restoration  (Read 4594 times)

January 01, 2007, 09:58:05 AM
Read 4594 times

Anonymous

cost of 71 22' flatback restoration
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:58:05 AM »
anyone have ball park figures of what is to be spent on restorations?
I know it would vary greatly based on the do dads.

do it yourself $
Vs.
boat repair shop $

January 02, 2007, 05:05:48 PM
Reply #1

hunter

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
depends on what needs to be done be more specific.

January 02, 2007, 06:50:33 PM
Reply #2

russell1

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »
I'm rebuilding a 69 22' flatback,I'm up to 2000.00 The stringers were in good shape except for one spot which got fix along with reinforceing the old ones,floor was about a 1000.00 to complete I had someone do the glass work and the gel coating.I have new gas tank.wires,fuel lines,console redone,steering system,2 tempress hatch covers.It all depends how far you go to get what it will cost.I still have  about 15,000 more to go before I'm totaly done.thats 11,000 for motor and sanding and gel-coating the outside.and finishing the teak and gauges so probaly from 15,000 to 22,000 depending or with a good motor even cheaper

January 02, 2007, 11:17:08 PM
Reply #3

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:17:08 PM »
Tanman- it really all depends on what the boat needs.  Mine needed new stringers, floor, tank... hell it was all bad.  I expect that all said and done I will be close to $40k into the boat, but that will include $10k for a motor, $5-6k for a tower (just the tower, no rigging), and a new trailer.  Now that being said, Tommy at Hammerhead was just selling a rebuilt flatback for $45k.  I did this because I can put money and time into the boat as I wish... not because it was the better $$$ deal.  FYI, I just met up with a certain unnamed gentleman who completed a rebuild recently and he quoted me an estimated $50k he put into his.

January 03, 2007, 10:23:40 AM
Reply #4

Shine

• Information Offline
    • http://www.gulfstreamcoposites.com
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »
We might sell ours when we are done.  It hard to say how many hours we will have into it by then, but I know there a couple hundred all ready.  

For a fully rebuilt boat, like the one put out by hammer head, you really should compare it to a brand new 22' bay boat in cost.  In reality its probably built a lot better $45k for a tricked out custom bay boat w/power is right in line with the cost of a production boat.

On the other hand you might be able to find a boat in good shape that just needs a new transom and a new finish - that would be much cheaper

January 03, 2007, 11:33:40 AM
Reply #5

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
AS
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
Let's put things in perspective:  The 2005 (last year produced) model from Aquasport that was basically an updated 222CCP sold for $55,000 with a 225 outboard and trailer.   :shock:

I think the older models have a style and legacy that newer boats cannot have.  In addition, many current boats use a cored hull to save weight and $$$.  I am still not completely sold on cored hulls - a half inch of solid fiberglass is hard to beat for strength and durability!  

You can find a deal on a good motor for a lot less than $10,000 - new, near-new, or remanufactured.  Repowering is pretty popular these days, and I have seen very nice 150s and 200s replaced by new 250s or someone wanting to jump on the 4 stroke wagon.  Some of the motors that were replaced only had 30-50 hours!  The market for used outboards is a buyer's market - shop around a bit and you can find a deal.  I know of a guy who bought a new Contender, used it a couple times, and then the dealer talked him into two new 4 strokes - so his "old" 2 stoke EFI motors were sold for about half what a new motor would cost - and were still in the break-in period!  

So rebuilding is a matter of choice, preference, $$$, and - here comes the emotion - love.  It is hard to justify spending tons of money on an old boat in rational, cost/benefit, terms.  But if you love the boat, and do it right, it will be a pride and joy for many years to come - long after the shine has worn off a new boat.  This is, well, as the commercial says, priceless!   :wink:
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

January 04, 2007, 12:00:32 AM
Reply #6

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »
This stuff is not for everyone. You must love the build as much as using it.

It is NOT a cost saving way to have a boat.

If I paid someone to do what I did to my boat it would have cost $150K.

Yes you read that right. It surveyed at $78K.

I've got 5yrs in it. It's paid for and no finance charges. I built it for me, not to sell.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

January 04, 2007, 12:55:02 AM
Reply #7

hunter

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »
I think you guys scared him   :cry:   !

January 04, 2007, 08:35:20 AM
Reply #8

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 08:35:20 AM »
I agree with Warthog5 on one point.  Yes, it can be costly.  However, I violently disagree about the necessary level of cost. Warthog5's re-builds are strictly top-end... best of everything.  That's his world.  Maybe what you'd be happy with is something a bit more modest. Costs can be kept down by buying sensibly.  Do you really need the latest gee-whiz core material for your decks or will plywood do.  Do you need new custom made stainless hardware & tower or will used hardware do.  Same thing with the engine.  Huge cost difference between an out-of-the-box four stroke and a good used two stroke.  Certainly a re-build will cost some money but if you know your budget and have some degree of self-control there's no reason you can't keep the project within rational bounds.

This is a great site to learn about rebuilding your boat.  Lots of experience and lessons hard-learned.  As far as tackling a re-build yourself... why in hell not?  It is a project for enjoyment, learning, and maybe picking up a few new friends along the way.  Don't let anyone tell you you shouldn't try & don't let anyone scare you off.  It's your boat, your money, your time and your enjoyment.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

January 04, 2007, 09:01:02 AM
Reply #9

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »
All have valid points in their own personal situation.

I do not have the time or budget to go all out.  I would rather fish than work on the boat project.  I lucked out and found a 22-2 with a good floor and transom and I paid a little more for it than your average project boat.  The gelcoat is chalking, umpteen coats of chipping and peeling bottom paint, homemade but solid t-top and second station, old but good motor.  The number one thing is mine was fishable from the get-go.  I didn't restore it.  I just re-furbished it to be more safe and reliable with things like most all wiring replaced, new pumps and hoses, new lights, good electronics.  The entire time I have had the boat, it has not been out of commission for more than a couple of days at a time which is important to me.  It's still ugly but it fishes just fine.  Now I am starting on the looks but that is not a priority for me.  The only big money I had to spend was the electronics.  The small stuff like pumps, hoses, thru-hulls,  and wiring components do add up quickly.  Scratching off the electronics, I only put a couple of grand or so in it so far including a lot of parts replaced on the trailer.

Each to his own.

It will still cost you 2.7 times what you originally thought   :wink:
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

January 04, 2007, 09:06:02 AM
Reply #10

Shine

• Information Offline
    • http://www.gulfstreamcoposites.com
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
What Jim says is true.  Using plywood will cost less than 1/2 as much vs. foam core and honeycomb composite.  A plywood core rebuild will also take less than half the time to complete.  

You can use quality marine plywood, epoxy resin, directional glass and build a fine boat that will probably outlast most of what comes out of production today.  You just have to use the proper material and know how to keep the wood encapsulated.

January 04, 2007, 03:38:47 PM
Reply #11

russell1

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
Most in important is time.I wouldn't spent $78,000 on a old aqua sport when you could buy one for 45,000 from hammer head totaly redone.Or if you have that much to spend get a canyon boat that can handle ruff seas well.

January 04, 2007, 10:04:38 PM
Reply #12

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »
HeHe  I didn't say i spent $78K. :D

I feel as though it is a disservice to someone starting out that it's all super easy.

We know it's not.
Thing's like having a place to do the work close to your house. If you have to drive 30min each tome to get to the boat you will find excuses not to make that drive to glue something up that will take 15min and then leave, while that set's up so you can move on to the next step.

Do you have the tool's to do it?  this always adds expense.

Do you have children that need to go to ball games or band practice after school and play games on the weekend?

This takes away time from a project.

Then what happen's is the length of time to do the project drag's on. The next thing you know is you have found other interest's

After that people dump the project for $.05 on the dollar.

This happens all the time. If you are not dedicated to the project and just want to go fishing, then this stuff is NOT for you.
Just go buy a boat and go fishing.

There are a lot of nice looking boat's that people have reworked, but it took money and dedication.

heck I use to turn down fishing trip's with my buddies to stay home and grind fiberglass. Now is that sick  or what?

I don't say this stuff to scare people. If you are dedicated we can help.  :D
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

January 04, 2007, 11:09:16 PM
Reply #13

russell1

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 11:09:16 PM »
most of it is easy as long as you can follow directions and have a basic knowledge of how hand tools and a tape messure work.I came along way in a few months time not knowing what to do and takeing some advise offered by others.But warthog your right about time,one day you might get alot done the next few weeks couple hours a day you'll spend messing around with one thing, like wires.Add in work and kids and the wife nagging and you have a slow process but rewarding in the end when your on the water with a old but new boat without a payment unless you used your credit cards to build it.Dont do it all at once,do the major things first -deck and stringer,foam,get it back to running condition then next year you can gel coat the hull,and odds and cosmetics.I'm one of the guys that can't afford new yet but dont want to miss any fishing days either. most of all you'll get a star on your life list for boat building.

January 21, 2007, 08:53:34 PM
Reply #14

billh1963

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 08:53:34 PM »
My cost was about $12K and most of the work was outsourced. That included new electronics (Garmin 492C GPS, Garmin 340C with Airmar thru-hll, VHF), "new" trailer, all new wiring, cleats, lights, hardware, leaning post/live well, and low hour 2001 Suzuki 115.

Was the quality as good as I would have liked....No, in some areas it's not as good a job as I would have done.

But, is everyting functional and does the boat look good?...absolutely!

I rebuilt the boat to fish inshore and it will do an admirable job at that.

Different tools for different jobs!
2008 MayCraft 18

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal