You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Yankee and Redneck Fish Tacos  (Read 904 times)

May 27, 2014, 08:11:07 PM
Read 904 times

dburr

• Information Offline
Yankee and Redneck Fish Tacos
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
This RezP was made possible by the friendship and generosity of Brother Rhodes!! If'n Scotty had not turned us on to his favorite seafood breader we would not have tried this.  

Key ingredients area a really good breader, good fish and peanut oil.  If you are going whole hog and going to use Atkinson’s then (at Scotty’s direction and I second it), DO NOT go less then 3 parts Atkinson’s Seafood to 1 part Atkinson’s Cajun Spicy Hot breader.  The Cajun breader is really good but has a whacking good yank to it and is most definitely not suited to tender palates.

The breader:  http://atkinsonmilling.com/Seafood_Breaders/

The slaw is not standard cole slaw and adds a zap and a crunch that will have you thinking about these once you’ve had them.  

To prep the fish, (we have had cod, haddock and halibut) rinse fillets in fresh water, pat dry and slice into reasonably small sized chunks.

Place fish in a container of your choice and cover with buttermilk.

There is a Brother Rhodes secret step here that he can fill in (it is his secret) that will get the fish a 10, it the step is omitted it is still a solid 9.5 at least..

Let soak for as long as you can wait, remove and pat dry.

Start warming up the peanut oil in a high sided skillet..

In a plastic bag you have by now hopefully put the breader mix.  Place the fish chunks in the bag a few at a time and shake well to coat.

When the oil is good and hot (it says FISH on my thermometer and it is hotter then 350F) put the fish the oil and cook until done.  Depending on the chunk size it could be less then a minute a side, it goes really fast.

Now, as for the rest of the fixins, I have no clue..  Laura does to the rest, she says she follows that recipe for the slaw and when I have the fish done the other parts have magically appeared on the table.

The slaw is best if made early, but tonight it was done about 20 minutes before I started cooking.. We forgot to get the avocado and blew off making salsa.. “neked” tacos were just fine with the sauce and slaw..

For the rest:

SLAW
         3 cups Green Cabbage, finely shredded
    1/4 cup Carrots, shredded
    1/8 cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
    2 Tbsp Lime Juice
    2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
   1 clove Garlic, minced

SPICY GREEK YOGURT
(Sour cream works fine too)
    1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (nonfat)
   Taco Seasoning (create own desired level of heat)

TACO FIXINGS
    1/2 Avocado
    8 Corn or Flour Tortillas, 6 inch
    Salsa

Prepare slaw up to 24 hours ahead. In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, vinegar, and garlic. Pour cabbage and carrots into bowl and toss until covered with dressing. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Mix together hot sauce and Greek yogurt to desired heat. Slice avocado into 8 slices. Heat tortillas in microwave on damp towel for 10-20 seconds and wrap in foil until time for serving.  Assemble tacos by placing 4-5 cubes of fish, 2 tablespoons of slaw, one slice of avocado, 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt, and salsa as desired, in a tortilla.

Many thanks Scotty for getting us started!!  :salut:   :salut:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

May 27, 2014, 11:48:10 PM
Reply #1

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
Re: Yankee and Redneck Fish Tacos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »
I agree on Scottys fish breader.... damn good stuff  :thumright:  :thumleft:
Altho he schooled me on pronouncing  it  "At  KINN sons " emphasizing the "Kinn"  :)

I did some Chinook Salmon with it  a week or so ago

I went 1 part Atkinsons Seafood breader  to 1 part Atkinsons Cajun Spicy Hot...it was awesome  :salut: ..
Tho the next morning   :?  there was a wee bit of that......." burning ring of fire". :shock: ... to deal with  : but it was worth it  :mrgreen:

1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

May 28, 2014, 07:23:41 AM
Reply #2

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
:thumright:  :thumleft: !!!!!
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

May 28, 2014, 10:30:11 AM
Reply #3

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:30:11 AM »
Glad you guys are enjoying it!!! Southern Fried in Maine...and Southern Fried in Washington State!!!  :cheers:  :cheers:

Dave, that slaw recipe looks great! Will fix it up!! And the "secret" ingredient in the buttermilk....add an egg yolk, mix well. Throws a little crunch to it.

Bill, that pic is awesome....perfectly prepared!

That AtKINson's Cajun breader is deheat :mrgreen: It is HOT!!!  I don't know how they make it, they must have to wear respirators....you start sneezing and your eyes start watering as soon as you open the bag.

So in tribute to AtKINson's, and to Bill's thinking, here is a snappy little tuna for your toe-tapping enjoyment :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7107ELQvY

May 28, 2014, 10:47:57 AM
Reply #4

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Scotty I broke the rule last night :shock:  :twisted:  and went straight up Hot for a few pieces.. Holy SCHIZNIT..... It had quite the yank on it and was the predominating flavor it still put a smile on my face and had me bangin on the table  :mrgreen: ..  Next round I will be "back on book"!!

Many thanks for introducing us to atKINson's!! :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

May 28, 2014, 11:25:26 AM
Reply #5

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
You are welcome my friend!!

And you are right!! It is HOT. You have to cut it with the regular, otherwise, you can't taste the fish :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

May 28, 2014, 03:52:35 PM
Reply #6

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:35 PM »
Dave
That slaw recipe looks supreme.  :thumleft:
Will try it out.

Thanks for posting

Bill
1979 222 FF

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

May 28, 2014, 11:55:25 PM
Reply #7

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »
You are most welcome! It sure isn't Grandma's traditional that is for sure.. Been wondering how it would do on pulled pork sandwiches.. Gonna have to find out :mrgreen:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

May 29, 2014, 12:20:10 AM
Reply #8

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »
My son  Brent has asked for pulled pork for his 24th  bday dinner in a couple of weeks

Can't get any better then Scotty's bbg  pulled pork and  Dave's slaw  :D

Will let you all know how it  turns out

Bill
1979 222 FF

- Winston Churchill

Bill

May 31, 2014, 11:05:13 PM
Reply #9

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:05:13 PM »
:thumright:

Can't wait to see those Butts. You're the man on the smoker!

Guys, fried up some fresh black grouper and shrimp tonight. It was deluxe. Set the deep fryer on 365, and was careful not to overcook. Put the grouper nuggets in the frypot first, let sit about 60 seconds, then threw in the shrimp. 80 seconds later...done, let's eat.

Want to revisit the Atkinson's Cajun Seafood Breader. Have surmised that less is more. Pulled back the ratio tonight to just a splash of the Cajun (1/6ths to 5/6ths) to the virgin breader seemed just about right. Still some surprising kick. The grouper is $18.99 a pound here. Didn't want to kill it with powdered cayenne :wink:

June 01, 2014, 05:33:40 PM
Reply #10

dburr

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
Right on Scotty! I make just straight up breader, no hot  for Laura and it STILL has it goin on!  Cod fish is really delicate and wicked easy to overpower..

:thumright:  :thumleft:
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal