Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Need Help on 1986 222 CCP  (Read 3322 times)

May 07, 2012, 01:06:25 PM
Read 3322 times

Big Nels

• Information Offline
Need Help on 1986 222 CCP
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
I have just purchased a 1986 222 CCP.  Been looking for awhile and once I found this hull I fell in love.  And what made it even better was the price.  I had thought I robbed this guy of a boat.  I went over the hull pretty well. transom looked good, floor was ok, and the hull itself was prefect. Everything seemed to be prefect.  I got her home and the 1st thing I wanted to do was pull the fuel tank.  From all these rumors I have been hearing about ethanol fuel I figured it was in my best interest to check out the fuel tank.  So i started out with pulling the console off.  Well that's when it all fell apart.  Started with the screw, was able to unscrew it with my fingers.  That was the case for almost every screw.  And the ones that I needed a screw driver for were bent screws.  Got the console off so i went straight to the screws around where the fuel tank is located.  Thank god most of them were good.  pulled the tank and found holes all over it.  at this point i started to realize i got robbed not the guy who sold it to me.  At that point I just started to pull everything out.  motor off which i was planning on replacing anyway,  all wires and plumbing...... oh yea the plumbing found a lot of debris in the bilge area.  started looking closer found a thru hull intake which I'm guessing was for the wash down.  well that was caulked shut which makes me think that this boat was under water at one time.  now I'm getting really scared.  I don't think I would feel comfortable at this point just throwing an engine on and going.  I believe I'm going to have to rip the floor up, rip the foam out and start from ground zero.  My question is there anyone out there that has done this to this particular model and has a documented description on what they did, pictures, how to's, some new ideas, anything.  I need help!   I feel the transom is in good shape but I honestly wont know till I get her apart.  I'm keeping this boat that's for sure.  But this is my first big project.

May 07, 2012, 01:17:45 PM
Reply #1

dburr

• Information Offline
Re: Need Help on 1986 222 CCP
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:17:45 PM »
No need to panic, if you use the search feature there are a bunch of rebuilds and all of your questions will be answered..  Take a look a 222FB rebuild and that should help.  Just spend a little time reading and all will be good.

As long as you are happy with the hull and feel Ok-good about the price it can all be fixed.

Welcome aboard!!
Dave

88 222 Osprey
00 Yamaha OX66 150
CAS # 2590

May 07, 2012, 04:01:15 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 04:01:15 PM »
As Dave :mrgreen:  stated, the Search feature is your friend. 320 + matches using 222 CCP just in the Rebuild forum alone.

Here's a glimpse at what lies ahead.
viewtopic.php?p=42462#p42462

Much more out there on CCP rebuilds of all lengths.

As always, first one's free. :mrgreen:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

May 07, 2012, 04:22:51 PM
Reply #3

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
Welcome aboard <!-- s:!: -->:!:<!-- s:!: -->   I would not be in panic mode yet.  Unless I read it wrong, didn't you say the transom and deck were "ok"?  What makes you think that the deck needs to be ripped out?  Is it "mushy" or soft?  If the deck feels solid, most likely you are ok.  Have you had a chance to drop her in the water yet?  How she sits "at rest" with no one in her can give you a great indication whether it is "watelogged" or not.  Let's face it, most boats with age on them have wet foam.  It is just a matter of how much.

As far as your tank goes, I would have gone into the sell expecting to have to replace the tank due to her age.  Again, the tank is not a major problem.

By the way, I have the same exact boat as yours.  Mine is a 1986 as well.  Here is a link to mine below.  She was "very sick" when I got her.  I guess the point is just take it one day and one problem at a time..We have numerous CCP owners here that can help you with any questions.  That being said, lets see some pictures <!-- s:thumright: -->:thumright:<!-- s:thumright: -->

http://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?topic=6577.0
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

May 07, 2012, 05:06:55 PM
Reply #4

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
Transom is SOLID. Deck is soft in one area but most of the deck is hard.  a 5 foot by 2 foot area along the starboard side of the console.  didn't notice it till i got her home.  I did search but i did not find one  that showed me how to put the deck back down and how to fiberglass in the sides. If i am about to cut around the splash well to keep it or if i should just cut it out and build a new one.

May 07, 2012, 06:16:43 PM
Reply #5

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
Welcome aboard again! My 222 had the same problem as your CCP. All the screw holes were not sealed and I have mulch around them. For now I overdrilled all of them and filled them with thickened epoxy drilled for the screws and now everything is fine. Yes the ply is still wet around these areas but i don't really care (for now). If you cut the deck off you might as well go ahead and do the transom at the same time. Eventually I will have to rip it all out but my soft spot in the same place as yours has not grown anymore since I went back over the deck and filled and sealed every chip I could find. When I get totally sick of the soft spot I will rip it all out and restore the whole thing but for now I plan on just using it. Check Gone Fission's thread about how he made storage under the deck and got all the foam out as well. Listen to what JDupree says as well, you don't even know how it sits in the water to tell how wet it really is. You could go and weigh it and compare this to the original weight to get an idea.
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

May 07, 2012, 09:30:32 PM
Reply #6

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:32 PM »
Well the whole problem with that is that I all ready removed the gas tank, the console, any wires, and all plumbing.  I think that this would be the best time to do the floor and foam.  I was gonna do just the soft spot at first, ripped out the fuel line so the floor in that area has to come out.  Once again at one point I was so frustrated I started ripping up anything I could.

May 08, 2012, 05:25:31 AM
Reply #7

slvrlng

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:25:31 AM »
Go for it then! We will all try to help along the way. Now we just need some pictures!
Lewis
       1983 222 Osprey "Slipaway"
       1973 19-6 "Emily Lynn"

May 08, 2012, 05:43:16 AM
Reply #8

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
The stringers in the CCP's aren't as notorious for wet foam. Take a close look at the stringer tops and see if they are pierced with screws....the floor and tank may be all that is needed.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7421&p=75644#p75644

Welcome aboard!

May 08, 2012, 10:53:22 AM
Reply #9

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »
If most of the deck is hard as you say, I would not go ripping the entire deck out.  I would just adress the problem area which it appears you already have.  Install a new fuel line under the deck and put a nice access hatch there.

If it is like most CCP'S, the deck might be a little "springy" just forward of the coffin box.  Not sure if you have the deck hatch right in front of the coffin box or not.  Keep in mind there is no foam in that area so it might be "flexing" a bit.
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

May 08, 2012, 05:40:14 PM
Reply #10

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
Tomorrow I will be pulling the anchor of an engine off and opening up every hatch that will open.  my concern with just fixing the one area is what if all the foam is wet?  I don't want to be burn more gas then I have to.  These days it might be cost efficient to make the boat as light as possible.  After looking through a few of the other posts I'm starting to like the idea of the flat back.  more fishing room.  and I'm staring to not like the enormous splash well that was built in this model boat.  I will only be sticking one outboard on her,  don't need that large cut out on the transom.  But after saying all of that i think tomorrow I'm going to start with cutting out the soft area and starting from there.  I'm not trying to throw too much money in her unless i have to.  I'll have photos tomorrow.

May 08, 2012, 08:37:51 PM
Reply #11

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
Believe what the CCP owners are saying...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get too far ahead with the demolition....ten cents worth of demolition now equates to a minimum of hundreds, maybe thousands later.

The CCP stringers are big and beefy. Unless they are heavily pierced from above....foam saturation on these boats is not/never has been an issue as with the twelve degree hulls. Heavier glass, screws in different places, etc.....

Not to say they can't break tabs in a heavy seaway. That usually occurs near the stern.

Do careful exploration. The foam saturation experiences you have read here are not in general applicable to your hull.

May 09, 2012, 02:10:54 AM
Reply #12

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:54 AM »
Quote from: "gran398"
Believe what the CCP owners are saying...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't get too far ahead with the demolition....ten cents worth of demolition now equates to a minimum of hundreds, maybe thousands later.

The CCP stringers are big and beefy. Unless they are heavily pierced from above....foam saturation on these boats is not/never has been an issue as with the twelve degree hulls. Heavier glass, screws in different places, etc.....

Not to say they can't break tabs in a heavy seaway. That usually occurs near the stern.

Do careful exploration. The foam saturation experiences you have read here are not in general applicable to your hull.

I hope to good u r right!  I'm going to dig out the soft spot this week.  If what you say is true Ill probably cut an access hole on the opposite side of the console just to make sure.  but ill need some more feed back from the other CCP owners.

May 09, 2012, 02:28:08 PM
Reply #13

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Not working on her today.  The weather man was wrong again.  Chance of rain turned into down pour.  May still pull the engine off a little later but as for any digging into the floor that will have to be put off till tomorrow or next week.  I may run out to buy 1 of those cheap garage cover things.  Probably be the smart move if I'm gonna work on her all summer.  Hopefully tomorrow ill start posting photos.

May 09, 2012, 03:41:10 PM
Reply #14

jdupree

• Information Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »
No need to rush.  As I said, just concentrate on the area that needs to be fixed.  You might find things are not as bad as you think :thumright:   By the way, where are you located :?:
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal