Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: cutting live well out questions  (Read 710 times)

March 22, 2006, 12:50:49 AM
Read 710 times

ddd222

cutting live well out questions
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
cutting livewell out hopefully of my 87' 222ccp and have discussed this a little here before but i'm curious about a few things if anyone's already done it. The reason should be obvious but totally in the wrong place, not functional and restricts any halfway detailed inspection of the bilge area.
   I have already removed the plumbing and the overflow fitting from the transom, and have in mind cutting the(glassed in) well out w/ prob a jigsaw, and putting in a big access plate. The 3 , 6 inch plates are impossible. My concern and what has been suggested to me is that cutting this well out and replacing w/ a huge hatch may put the whole structural integrity of the transome in question for such things as the strength to hold a 500 lb outboard. I didn't originally think of this but when this person mentioned it, it made a little sense. He's fished on my boat almost a hundred times, a fellow A.S. owner and mechanically more sound than me.
     In my mind i really didn't think the glass was that thick, that for lack of a better word would be "load bearing". That said was wondering the experts thoughts here or better yet any personal experience that any of you have. As far as i know, this nightmare of a livewell was not exclusive to the ccp 22, and was the norm for years in the 70's and 80's so guys w/ other years and models any thoughts are appreciated. Will update w/ pics when i start

March 22, 2006, 01:19:11 AM
Reply #1

ddd222

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 01:19:11 AM »
DEFIANT, i see after searching you cut out the well but as a complete transom rebuild. Not in that position at the moment hopefully for numerous reasons most of all financially and desire to use my boat this summer. I also looked at your pictures and didn't see any of the finished product, please share!

March 22, 2006, 01:25:45 PM
Reply #2

DEFIANT

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 01:25:45 PM »
ddd222,

When I rebuilt the transom I had the entire well area removed. I wish I had the time and money to do the complete full transom, with an outboard bracket and replace the entire well area with a flat deck! I would have gained alot of deck area not to mention the look!

I do actually use the well to hold live bait and caught fish so I rebuilt mine.

To remove the well would be no big deal. First remove the screws and the rectangular cover that is over the well area. My cutting tool of choice is a small grinder. Cut the well under the lip that the lid rested on. Just cut the front, and sides, not the transom side. Then cut top to bottom and across the bottom at the back of the well. Take care not to cut your transom. Once you do this the well should come out giving full access to the bilge area.

Here is a picture from the Gallery that may help to visulize the process.

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... all/page/3

Keep in mind the stern wall of the well is part of the transom. The bolts securing your outboard can be seen inside the well.

I will try to locate some pictues I have of the well itself after I removed it. When I do I'll post them.

I don't think removing the well will significantly weaken the transom.

If you do this it will be very importaint to install a secure water tight hatch where the old well cover was!!!

My well was coated with some sort of black rubber sealer, is yours? The aroma was not too pleasant when I cut it with the grinder!

I did post some finished pictures in the Gallery, but they are hard to view since they are sized wrong. The boat is now in my driveway with a fresh coat of bottom paint. I will take some new pictures this weekend and post them properly!

Let me know if this info helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal