Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Resins  (Read 1260 times)

June 13, 2013, 11:22:46 AM
Reply #15

orb

• Information Offline
Re: Resins
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »
Again, I thought of the same thing. I decided to paint, thus I did not put a gel coat in my mold. Epoxy paints have no uv protection, so they faded and chalk bad when in the sun, that is not really a good idea for topsides. I planned on finding the best deal on a suitable high quality paint when the time comes. I tried re-gelcoating a small boat once. Getting it thick enough was difficult as well as getting it to stick for the long haul. It eventually chipped and pealed in spots.

Oliver
70\'s  240 seahunter(rebuilding now)
Photogallery-
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... &protype=1

\'77 22-2 (rebuild on hold)
1997 19\' sundance 70 merc

June 13, 2013, 11:30:21 AM
Reply #16

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
You do not need to put it on your extension mold now.  In fact, if you did, you would probably grind much of it off as you glass it to the existing hull and fair the hullsides.

If you were making a totally separate component, say a livewell, console, or dock box, then it would make sense to gelcoat the mold before glassing.  But for something that needs to be glassed and blended into an existing surface, you will probably be better off gelcoating/painting the whole thing after the fiberglass work is done.

I think now is the right time to think about how you are going to finish the boat - at least as far as what you are going to use, gelcoat or paint.  As mentioned above, this may limit what type of resin you can use, as you can't gelcoat over epoxy.
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

June 13, 2013, 01:27:38 PM
Reply #17

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »
You will definitely be wise to wait on the gel as Craig says...you don't want to glass to gel due to adhesion concerns.

June 13, 2013, 05:06:27 PM
Reply #18

Tx49

• Information Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 05:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "gran398"
...Please tell us your first name, so that we can call you by name going forward,
its Johnny, but everybody in all my online communities usually just call me TX-(Tex)
as part of our group..and also tell us a bit about yourself.
I I like Pina Coladas,
and
getting caught in the rain.
 I'm not much into health food,
I am into champagne.

Seriously, I am a middle-aged construction manager who grew up fishing and hunting in the south (Ark and La.) I used to go to Florida a lot when I was a kid. After going to Florida last year, It rekindled my desire to boat and fish the south and actually just live there. I am between jobs right now and am trying to find a job in Florida so I can relocate there. I'm married and in 2 years my fourth kid will make his mom and I empty nesters. so the idea is that I would commute for a year or so and then his momma would move to florida with me and we will settle there. She is an alzheimer and senior living center director. So if i can get there, I'm sure she can find something once she follows. I love boating and I love building stuff. So this project is a natural, especially right now while I have so much time on my hands.

Oh yeah, and I'm going on a mission trip to Honduras soon,So that's gonna be awesome.

Thanks,
TX
or Johnny if you prefer

Every once in a while...I get to call a de-rail. Best part about being in Public Relations :mrgreen:
Johnny

Success belongs to the Team, Failure belongs to the Leadership.

1970 Aquasport 240 CC SeaHunter

June 13, 2013, 06:32:08 PM
Reply #19

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »
Ah a construction manager well you work in my world then. I own a structural steel fabricating company. Welcome to the boards.

I am going with gelcoat because of the ease of repairs down the road plus the spraying of gelcoat mixed with duratec products can laydown like paint if you do your prep work correctly with minimal buffing after spraying. If you spray straight gelcoat there is a lot of sanding and buffing that's why a lot of people just use paint.
1987 222CCP current rebuild.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal