Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: battery-gas tank fill placement  (Read 637 times)

May 30, 2006, 06:55:06 PM
Read 637 times

cboham30

battery-gas tank fill placement
« on: May 30, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »

i'm wanting to put my batteries under my console in the front were the cut out is. i will be putting a lid with hinges over this. i'm  putting my gas tank below the deck under the console. my question is ,i want to put the gas fill under the lid, you can see the little that i did not cut out that were i want the gas fill to go. do you guys think that could be a problem with the fill that close to the batteries or is there nothing to worry about since the gass line will be double clamped at both ends and the batteries will be in boxes?

May 30, 2006, 08:17:35 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:17:35 PM »
I looked in the ABYC (boat building safety standards) and all I could find was a two foot seperation requirement.  I would be very careful doing this.  Liquid gasoline is not the problem, vapors is what ignites/explodes easiest.  Not to mention the discharge of very explosive hydrogen gas from lead acid batteries.

http://www.abycinc.org/committees/e-11.pdf
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

May 30, 2006, 08:57:49 PM
Reply #2

JimCt

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »
Don't do it!  Any arcing going on at the battery terminal connections and we'll be reading about you in the paper. During fueling that locker will fill with gas vapor.  Given a resonable mixture of gas vapor + air, you will have yourself a fuel/air bomb.  The battery, if there are any loose or poor connections, will supply ignition.

Some of the old 170's have the filler mounted on the top of the console.  Mine is mounted on the starboard side behind the fish finder.

Not the best arrangement but at least it's safe.  Looks like you have room there to continue the filler pipe up to the console top.
JimCT
------
\'74 22-2 inboard
HIN:ASPL0953M74J
Chrysler 318
------
\'74 Marshall 22

May 31, 2006, 03:12:04 PM
Reply #3

cboham30

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 03:12:04 PM »
thanks for the input guys , i think i have a new idea for the gas fill placement.. i'll post pics when i figure the ordeal out. the wife is putting the heat on to start working around the house, so i may have to slow progress on the boat  :cry: as we trying to move from the current house. i'll keep ya posted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal