Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Flush mount rod holder questions  (Read 408 times)

March 04, 2021, 10:37:47 AM
Read 408 times

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
Flush mount rod holder questions
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:37:47 AM »
I am new to the forum and to the aqua sport Striper 165. I purchased this boat at an estate sale for a very low price and got this boat motor and trailer which all need a lot of work. While waiting for a fuel tank I’m trying to patch all the holes in the boat that are allowing access to water. These Perko rod holders are toast . They seem to be an odd size as the area where they mount is pretty narrow ; 2 1/2 x 5“ with about an inch and a quarter hole. The foam underneath is saturated with water, This boat has been sitting outside since 05. I haven’t been able to find any flush mount Rectangular except those plastic ones used for kayaks that have the removable rod holders, all the chrome ones I’ve seen are oblong and much wider and would hang over the sides I haven’t seen any Striper 165 rebuilds mostly just bigger boats on this forum, I tried to search first but wasn’t able to find anything i’m sure others have experienced a similar issue. If I can’t find something in Chrome I guess I’ll just go with the plastic these holes need to get covered up and is there anything I should do with the foam other than let it dry out.

"96 Striper

March 04, 2021, 11:48:06 AM
Reply #1

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
Re: Flush mount rod holder questions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
I know it's a Striper, not Stryper, just don't know how to modify. I'm waiting for an aux. tank just to get the engine started before I tackle the below deck tank and fuel lines.

Admin Edit: I fixed it for you. We don't have much on the 165 rebuilds - yours can start showing us how it's done. There are a couple threads here https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?board=28.0
"96 Striper

March 04, 2021, 02:07:44 PM
Reply #2

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:07:44 PM »
A quick Google search doesn't come up with any of the rectangular ones from Perko so they could have been specific to the manufacturer or discontinued. If you're patching holes already then I would say just get different ones and redrill the screw holes as needed. I personally like the gemlux stuff. They have some affordable ones if you scroll down. Just don't look at the titanium ones 🤑  They also have all the measurements on their site so you can confirm they'll fit.

March 04, 2021, 02:36:48 PM
Reply #3

Fishhead

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
Those are probably perko outrigger holders. I use same ones
19-6 family fisherman
24 osprey pilothouse
22-2 family fisherman

March 04, 2021, 04:28:23 PM
Reply #5

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 04:28:23 PM »
found another cheaper used set, but they are open on the bottom. I don't get waht is supposed to keep the water out to keep from saturating the foam???
"96 Striper

March 04, 2021, 06:25:58 PM
Reply #6

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 06:25:58 PM »
OK, so let's unravel this mystery.

By now you should realize those are not rod holders but rather outrigger holders. They did not come from the Factory on your hull. One of the former POs added them. Ebay lists them as such also but I digress.

I would remove them and patch/close the holes in the gunnels.

Aren't there rod holders farther back on the gunnels where its open for rod storage?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

March 04, 2021, 09:49:50 PM
Reply #7

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:49:50 PM »
OK, so let's unravel this mystery.

By now you should realize those are not rod holders but rather outrigger holders. They did not come from the Factory on your hull. One of the former POs added them. Ebay lists them as such also but I digress.

I would remove them and patch/close the holes in the gunnels.

Aren't there rod holders farther back on the gunnels where its open for rod storage?
Yes, they WERE for outriggers. Is it possible to dry that foam out? Should I bother? Thanks for your help.
"96 Striper

March 04, 2021, 11:20:33 PM
Reply #8

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 11:20:33 PM »
I know it's a Striper, not Stryper, just don't know how to modify. I'm waiting for an aux. tank just to get the engine started before I tackle the below deck tank and fuel lines.

Admin Edit: I fixed it for you. We don't have much on the 165 rebuilds - yours can start showing us how it's done. There are a couple threads here https://classicaquasport.com/smf/index.php?board=28.0
Sure, I'll take pics of the process. Should I just keep ito this thread? I'm going to fill  a few thousand screw holes tomorrow.
"96 Striper

March 04, 2021, 11:21:58 PM
Reply #9

eastbayandy

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 11:21:58 PM »
I answered my own question.It may be about more than rod holders. I'll start a new one.
"96 Striper

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal