You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: '67 22-2 flatback re-rebuild, lessons learned...  (Read 1216 times)

March 30, 2012, 02:38:00 PM
Read 1216 times

Semper Fish

• Information Offline
'67 22-2 flatback re-rebuild, lessons learned...
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
Hello, my name is Dalan. I am in the process of re-rebuilding my 1967 22-2 flatback. This is her second rebuild, and after many lessons learned, hopefully her last. First thing first, a little history on this old gal; My father purchased this boat in '96 and began the process of rebuilding her for the purpose of a full time guide boat on the west coast of FL. The hull was stripped to a shell, including stringer removal. The interior was ground out and two layers of 60" 1708 biaxle were laid the full length and width of the hull. After cure and prep of new glass,  laminated 3/4" PT plywood was sandwiched together and formed into stringers. The transom was also made full,  with laminated, sandwiched 3/4" PT plywood. Following the same pattern, a 3/4" laminated PT plywood floor was installed. Her keel has been extended, along with running strakes added. We raised the floor 2", extended the forward casting deck, added a transom box, moved the console aft and the fuel cell forward. She has the original console, slightly modified, with a 40gal livewell. The top cap is original. It has also had a porta-bracket with a single 2 stroke 125-175hp Mercury's it's whole life. After completion in 1997, she was fished full time for 10 years as a guide boat, running approximately 200 trips a year +/-.  Then, for 3 years guiding part time, and stored for the last two. I should also mention it was stored outside, without a cover since '97. We have not been easy on her, by any means. However, after running almost every production bay boat made, extensively, I have decided my money is best spent here. Simply put, a classic aquasport is the most versatile, safest, driest, most comfortable, not to mention most beautiful inshore boat ever made. I plan on taking extensive notes and photographs throughout this prosess, as well as leaning on the good folks of this site for invaluable advice and techniques. Please bear with me through this process, it is very much a learning experience on my part. With all that being said, I look forward to working with everyone...let's get to work!

March 30, 2012, 07:33:24 PM
Reply #1

xtremekline

• Information Offline
Re: '67 22-2 flatback re-rebuild, lessons learned...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »
get-r-done

March 30, 2012, 07:45:37 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:37 PM »
Well, we know what's behind the scene's is in good shape, now it is time to make her pretty... :thumright:  :thumright:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 30, 2012, 08:42:46 PM
Reply #3

Semper Fish

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
There are several soft spots in the floor. The forward casting deck, and in front of the console are the worst spots. The hatches were not built properly, and as a result have allowed water intrusion. The top cap is broken in several places as well, caused by a lack of support along the gunwale. I plan on doing at least the floor, finishing the interior, repairing the cap, and repainting the outside. Stick around, there will be periodic updates as I progress. I will definately need the combined expertise of you guys to make this possible. Thank you in advance for your time and patience. I will be getting started next week.

Dalan

March 30, 2012, 08:52:21 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:52:21 PM »
Damn Dalan, water intrusion on a boat?  Heaven forbid! :wink:  :wink:

The key is quick evacuation of said intrusion...good compartment drainage...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 30, 2012, 11:14:33 PM
Reply #5

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
did you say that you used pressure treated wood in the previous rebuild?I have always been told that you should use marine grade or exterior grade plywood,curious to see how that PT held up.You may want to research what the best core material is,best of luck and thanks for your service,Marine. :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

March 30, 2012, 11:18:49 PM
Reply #6

Blue Agave

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
Quote from: "pete"
did you say that you used pressure treated wood in the previous rebuild?I have always been told that you should use marine grade or exterior grade plywood,curious to see how that PT held up.You may want to research what the best core material is,best of luck and thanks for your service,Marine. :salut:
X2!

1975 19-6
3.0 EFI Mercury 150 4S
"Don't count the days make the days count." - Muhammad Ali

March 30, 2012, 11:41:27 PM
Reply #7

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:41:27 PM »
The PT plywood is not conducive to boat rebuilding. Too wet, imbedded arsenic, etc...plus...too heavy.

And forget the marine ply for deck material. Since it will be heavily glassed both sides...save the money and go with multi-ply 5/8ths AC fir. (Hard to find, but what you need)

First thought is to address the stringers...if they are of PT...don't rebuild good to bad.

Better yet...forget the wood, and go all syn.

And lastly...and most importantly....Welcome Aboard :lol:

March 31, 2012, 05:46:37 PM
Reply #8

Capt Matt

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
    • http://www.captmattmitchell.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 05:46:37 PM »
Congrats and looking forward to a good flatback project to follow.
If you don't want to do the rebuild again in another 10 yrs spend the xtra cake and go with composite
Capt Matt
www.captmattmitchell.com
Light tackle sportfishing

April 02, 2012, 11:23:55 AM
Reply #9

Semper Fish

• Information Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Hey guys, thanks so much for your interest in this project. I will definately be using all composite materials this time around. Thinking PVC board for the deck? I have a good friend that is in the latter stages of a rebuild on his '67 flatback that used pvc board for his deck, and he seemed to be very happy with it's versatility and rigidity. Any thoughts?

As far as the stringers, I believe they were in fact marine-ply, vaccuum bagged in. I won't know if they are solid until I get into her a bit. The technology  in composite materials has improved by leaps and bounds since this boat was last rebuilt, and I plan on taking full advantage of them for this project. I will begin de-rigging her tomorrow. Taking measurements of existing structure, removing the motor and para-lift, weighing hull, etc...

Capt. Matt, It apears we are not too far apart, as the crow flies anyway. If you have the time, I would love to get together one day soon so I can pick your brain a little about your experiences with this boat. Shoot me an email if that is possible SemperFishCapt@gmail.com

Thanks again for your interest.
Dalan

April 02, 2012, 12:20:34 PM
Reply #10

dirtwheelsfl

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:20:34 PM »
Pvc board will be fine for a deck if you have biax on each side of it. Defintely would use 3/4. Stuff needs a good sanding too to get a good bond.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal