Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Hull Liner Function - 222  (Read 1858 times)

April 23, 2005, 06:48:17 AM
Read 1858 times

Seadog

• Information Offline
Hull Liner Function - 222
« on: April 23, 2005, 06:48:17 AM »
Want to see if anybody can shed some light on why the liner was made and installed the way it was on my 1970 222:

It was attached at the top of the hull sides by screws for the rub rail and some bedding compound. The bedding compound extended down the hull side maybe one inch. The liner was not attached at all to the hull sides, it just floated free down the hull wall to the floor.  The liner and the floor was a one piece component that they sat in the hull, glued the floor to the top of the stringers and glued the liner top to the hull sides. Drilled some holes at the top, attached the rub rail and the liner to the hull. Hope that makes sense.

So my question is, do I have to reinstall the liner the way it was designed. Has anyone just pulled out that thing, glassed in the hull to the thickness of the liner and just leaft the liner out?

The liner probably alllowed for flex as the boat was running, pounding on the waves. How will leaving out the liner affect this boat?

Any help would be appreciated!
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.
Should spash her in the summer.
Just don\'t know which summer.

April 24, 2005, 03:30:58 PM
Reply #1

Deck Daddy

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 03:30:58 PM »
I was going to do that very thing to my 17 to gain some more deck space. Cut the liner a few inces down leaving just a gunnel cap, add some glass to the the hull to beef it up and add ribs to the boat to gain more hull strength. It can be done and that is what we did to my friends boat in my gallery. It did have a liner at one time in its life but had been modified over the years until we got a hold of it and stripped it down to parade rest. I decided against doing it to my 17 because there was not much gain out of it and I wanted a bigger boat.
One boat at a time.

April 25, 2005, 09:20:47 AM
Reply #2

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:20:47 AM »
Maybe a picture will help. In this picture the liner is the light green thing lying up against the hull and extends up under the cap.  The forward casting deck has been cut out forward.  

I think the AS 17 had foam sandwiched between the liner and hull  wall.

The  222's liner lies right up against the hull wall without any foam between. I'm probably going to leave it out and reglass the hull to the same liner thickness. Just wanted to see if anybody else had done this,
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

June 21, 2005, 11:01:07 AM
Reply #3

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:01:07 AM »
I just purchased a 1970 flatback hull and was reading all of the old posts and came across yours. I need to redo the whole deck and was wondering about leaving the liner also. What did you finally end up doing to yours?

Ruben
Miami, Fl.

June 21, 2005, 06:04:41 PM
Reply #4

Seadog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:04:41 PM »
I'm puttin the liner back in.  Lots easier that way than having to fair out some new glass on the inside walls of the hull. I am laying down new glass on the inside of the hull first, then I'll re-install the liner.  In the middle of that process now.

Have you checked out the foam in your stringers yet? Don't be surprised if there's tons of water in there.

Good to have another 1970 flatback owner aboard!  Keep us posted on your progress...
1970 Aquasport 222
Spring Hill, Fl.

June 21, 2005, 10:38:26 PM
Reply #5

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:38:26 PM »
Welcome Ruben.  I am in Miami also and am doing a '71 flatback.  Feel free to contact me - you will find this board to be very helpful. Good luck.

June 22, 2005, 10:44:05 AM
Reply #6

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:44:05 AM »
Thanks for the advise Sea dog.  I will probably cut her open this weekend. Iwill let you know the condition of the stringers.

Also thanks Rayos for the kind words.

Ruben
Miami, Fl.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal