Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: Installing throttle cables  (Read 942 times)

January 15, 2011, 05:06:42 PM
Read 942 times

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
Installing throttle cables
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
OK I ordered new throttle and shift cables for my 200HP evinrudes.I need to know what needs to be done on the engine side to get the cables set right.I figured out the control side thats pretty cut and dry. The engine side looks a little more complicated and I like to have some knowledge going in.
                                         Thanks Guys
                                              DT

January 15, 2011, 07:17:54 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Installing throttle cables
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
DT,
It's really pretty simple with Evinrudes.  Line up the adjustment "barrel" with it's slot in the retainer.  See where the end of the cable lies in relation to either throttle or shift.  Adjust the barrel either in or out to get the hole in the end of the cable to line up with the stud on the linkage.  Attach to linkage, secure cable barrel in receptacle, done.  Go have a beer...or three! :cheers:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

January 16, 2011, 04:34:27 AM
Reply #2

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:27 AM »
Thanks Bob cant wait to get to the last part. :shaking2:

April 11, 2011, 05:05:20 AM
Reply #3

Double Trouble

• Information Offline
  • NorthEast
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:05:20 AM »
OK the boat is uncovered everything is done except the throttle and shift cables. I have a couple of more questions:
1) which end is easier to pull from

2) Do I have to pull everything out of the rigging hose and pull everything back together or can I get the cables thru without taking everything apart.

Thanks for your help Guys! :scratch:

April 11, 2011, 12:17:19 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Quote from: "Double Trouble"
OK the boat is uncovered everything is done except the throttle and shift cables. I have a couple of more questions:
1) which end is easier to pull from

2) Do I have to pull everything out of the rigging hose and pull everything back together or can I get the cables thru without taking everything apart.

Thanks for your help Guys! :scratch:

With OMC cables, you CAN push the engine end through the rigging tube, but the adjustment wheel tends to get hung up.  What I do is remove the engine ends, attach the throttle end to the old cable and pull them through.  The throttle ends go through the tube much easier.  Spray a liberal amount of silicone into the rigging tubes, that helps alot...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal