You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Flats / Console Towers on 22-2  (Read 848 times)

July 03, 2005, 05:16:25 PM
Read 848 times

Anonymous

Flats / Console Towers on 22-2
« on: July 03, 2005, 05:16:25 PM »
I'm going to be rigging the '77 22-2 with a dual-station tower soon after I get it refurbished - I was wondering if a 72" tower is too tall for the beam of the 22-2.  Maybe a question for Fishbonz - although he's got a flatback.  I definitely want to install a tower but don't know how tall keeping safety in mind.

July 05, 2005, 12:54:32 PM
Reply #1

fishbonz

Tower
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:54:32 PM »
APeggs-

Once again, a thousand opinions.  These are only mine.  You'll need to get on a couple of different rigs to form your own.

Mine is full height (72" +/-) and I have no problems with stability.  Mine is wide enough for two adults to comfortably ride up there, though I never do that in any kind of chop.  In my opinion the real issue is how height affects your fishability.

Tall Pros: Better visibilty, nothing to block field of view when at lower station, no floor/supports at head level. room to mount electronics box underneath.

Tall Cons: Must fold down to trailer, can't get under some bridges (Skyway piers, Boca Grande swing bridge at high tide, Davis Island bridge...), may spook more fish but I think a tower is a tower on this front,
maybe a little less stable.

Short Pros: Can make short enough not to fold, easier to climb in and out, may spook less fish, bridge clearance.

Short Cons: Floor is usually right at eye level when running from lower station, less visibility (this impacts me more when beach fishing for tarpon or when looking for beach snook in the summer).

I'm not sure how a v-hull will impact stability given the relatively low deadrise on the v-bottom 22-2.  I'd think that a deep V would be problematic with a tall tower.  If you want to try mine out, let me know.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal