Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

General Aquasport Forums > Aquasport Discussion

Deadrise vs. Performance

(1/2) > >>

JimCt:
Have read some comments re. deadrise & performance but am still not clear on how each affects the other.  My understanding is that AS cranked in the 12 deg sometime after the '70's boats.  Comments I've read is that this affects draft.  Since the O/B skeg is the deepest part of the boat anyway, what difference does the DR angle make?  Was the change made to reduce pounding?

oystercatcher:
Don't know what year AS went to what deadrise, but can offer the following ideas re: deadrise and performance.

1. Higher deadrise creates higher draft, because a deeper deadrise angle displaces less water.  

2. higher deadrise will (theoretically) pound less than a hull with less deadrise, but will tip more at rest.

3. higher deadrise requires more horses to move because more hull is in the water.

4. these are just generalizations, and performance of a boat includes lots of variables in addition to deadrise, like draft, weight, shape of chines, etc.  YMMV, as they say.

JimCt:
Thanks for the info. Oystercatcher.  Where I fish draft isn't a problem but choppy/confused seas usually are.  I've had a Whaler which is a great platform, but the pounding getting out & back can be brutal.  I've been looking for a 17 or 22 cc but have just seen the Eastern 18' (www.easternboats.com) .  Georgeous hull but not much beam & soft chines.

captin.kid:
anyone know the deadrise of a ccp???

Argo:
mine is 14^ as per the measurements requested by D&D marine for my twin bracket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version