Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: 170 fuel tank location and size?  (Read 6779 times)

March 10, 2006, 10:32:59 AM
Reply #15

Miguel

• Information Offline
  • Panama
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
Jdupree:

check this link out..............

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=115
 This should be the same as your boat....   Gas may leak into the bilge by means of a drain in the fibergalss box.  In my case, the fuel tank was OK, but the intake elbow developed a small, almost invisible crack at the welded joint with the tank.  IMO, this is design flaw, because the deck rests on top of the elbow and excerts pressure on it.  
Take care of it soon!!!  Gas in the bilge is dangerous.....
Miguel
1985 Osprey 170 / 1992 115HP Mariner
[/url]

March 10, 2006, 11:10:12 AM
Reply #16

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 11:10:12 AM »
Thanks for the info defiant.  I don't know if my setup is like yours or not.  It looks like the only access I have to the tank without pulling up the floor is a little access hole under the center console.  I haven't checked it yet but I guess the could possibly be where the hose hooks up to the tank :?

Defiant brougt up a good point.  Miguel, you have the same year as me I think.  Do you remember if the fuel tank does sit in a "holding tank" so if the gas were to leak that it would not go to the bilge :?: I am just trying to figure out how gas would get into the bilge and what fittings if any I could check.  Thanks,
John L. Dupree, III
1999 Aquasport 245 Explorer - 225 Johnson Ocean Pro
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 10, 2006, 11:28:38 AM
Reply #17

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »
Sorry Miguel.  I didn't bother to check the last post that you made before I made this last one.  It looks like you answered my question.  Thanks,
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 10, 2006, 01:57:31 PM
Reply #18

DEFIANT

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »
If you have an access plate in the deck as in the picture, open it. You should be able to see the sending unit, the filler hose, vent hose and fuel line. Inspect the seal at the sending unit and the hoses and hose clamps. You may see stains on the tank near those connections indicating a leak.

If you are lucky the problem will be there!

March 13, 2006, 05:52:02 PM
Reply #19

osprey170

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2006, 05:52:02 PM »
Yup that's my boat in the pictures.  I had the same problem - fuel in the bildge.  I suspected the hoses because I had an oily residue on the topside of the tank and the hoses looked terrible.  I replaced the hoses, and put in a nice new deck cover that I fabricated myself.  I did this only to find out that I still have a leak  :cry:  I haven't touched the boat in about 4 months.  Your 88 should be almost identical to mine in the pictures.  The tank sits in a glassed tub in the floor - there are three or four drain holes to allow water/gas to drain into the bildge.  If these holes weren't there then the tub would eventually fill with water.  To get the tank out  you have to lift the console by removing the screws that hold it down.  Check for slack in the wiring, hoses, etc and prop it up - I had to cut a couple of wires to get it up.  You then remove the screws that hold the deck cover down - you may need to remove your seats to get access to some of the screws.  Next is the fun part and that's cutting the sealant.  Man even after 20 years of sun and salt that stuff was still hard to cut.  I used a box knife to cut the sealant and then pried it up around the edges til I got the lid off.  You'll then have to remove the hoses and somehow get the tank off the foam that it sits on.  I didn't remove my tank (I should have) so I don't know how hard it would be to get it off the foam.  If your going in there then I would HIGHLY recommend pulling the tank and doing a thorough inspection.  I'm have to go back in and I'm not looking forward to it.
1985 Osprey 170

March 14, 2006, 08:11:59 AM
Reply #20

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 08:11:59 AM »
Thanks for the info osprey 170.  I guess that we have the same situation facing us.  I just got finished painting the bottom of the boat.  The last thing I need is another project.  When you pull your tank let me know what you found.  If I pull mine before you do I will let you know what I found.  Who knows, we might have the same problem.  Thanks for the detailed instructions.
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 14, 2006, 09:48:03 AM
Reply #21

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
Gas Tank
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 09:48:03 AM »
jdupree:  It's good to hear from another AS owner in NC!  

I just reworked the decking over the gas tank on my 222CCP, and took some pictures that may help.  You can remove the screws and lift the console up without disconnecting the wires, cables, and hoses.  This will allow you to remove the seats and the screws that hold the center panel in place.  Use 2x4s or whatever to hold the console up and you can remove the center panel.  Yes, cutting through the caulk is a bit of a pain; I used a utility knife.  

Here are two pictures of the tank area with the console blocked up:
http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... 500/page/1

http://www.classicaquasport.com/gallery ... 500/page/1

Yours will look a bit different, but the concept is the same.  I have a couple other photos in the gallery that may help as well.  Make sure you take a good look at the underside of the center panel when you take it out.  If the panel is pushing on the tank connection, it means the panel has bowed down.  Odds are that the backing on the center panel has deteriorated and you really need to take the plywood off the back and redo the panel.
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

March 14, 2006, 10:44:46 AM
Reply #22

jdupree

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Cap'n John.  It is good to hear from another AS owner in NC.  I have seen very few if any AS's in NC.  Don't really know why but I hardly ever see one and I fish alot around Morehead City, NC.  As a matter of fact, I just bought my 170 last month.  Hasn't even been on her maiden voyage yet.  Wanted to get the tank squared away first.  I haven't even checked any of the fittings yet to see if I could have a simple leak.  I guess I would be very lucky if it were that easy.

By the way, love your boat and the way the center console is laid out.  Thanks again for the help,
John L. Dupree, III
AQABLA84E999
Member #257

March 14, 2006, 09:11:23 PM
Reply #23

gchop

• Information Offline
88 gas tank question
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 09:11:23 PM »
mine is an 87, look at my pics in the photo gallery. the tank you will see is an exact match of the original tank, cost $200.00 cash from local tank maker. Yes the tank you have can definetly be shot.

remember if there is gas in your bildge there is probably water in your tank!  This makes motor go BOOOM !!!!!  trust me I know

George

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal