Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Safety shut off switch install.  (Read 274 times)

July 10, 2020, 09:14:15 PM
Read 274 times

Flats domino

• Information Offline
Safety shut off switch install.
« on: July 10, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
Can you wire to the key switch?"push to check type"do I need a special kill switch?

July 11, 2020, 07:00:05 AM
Reply #1

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
Re: Safety shut off switch install.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 07:00:05 AM »
If I understand your question, And you’re asking if you can wire the kill switch to the push to choke circuit on your key switch, the answer is maybe but why?  Some outboards complete a circuit to kill the motor and some break a circuit.  The push to choke would work to complete a circuit.

Now the why part.  While pushing would kill the engine, so would turning the key.  Plus, the push to choke could cause accidental kills if someone bumps into the key.  The kill switch is meant to shut off the engine if the operator is thrown away from the helm or out of the boat.  There’s a lanyard that is designed to be worn by the operator in a way that triggers the kill switch if he/she is thrown from the boat. 

Many choose not to wear the lanyard, and everyone must choose the level of risk they’re comfortable with.  So not having a kill switch is an option.  Another option is going with a wireless option like the Fell Marine kill switch.

August 03, 2020, 10:03:05 AM
Reply #2

Flats domino

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 10:03:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply.i want to add a kill switch to brake the circuit. Just in case I get thrown from the wheel.doing alot of solo fishing in rough water lately. The kill switch only has 2 wires. I tried to brake the circuit  but the motor keeps running.

August 03, 2020, 04:41:14 PM
Reply #3

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:14 PM »
What make outboard?  Some manufactures break a circuit to kill, others complete a circuit to kill.  There should be dedicated wires in your harness for the kill switch. Color may vary based on age and make of motor.

August 04, 2020, 10:33:45 AM
Reply #4

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »
Here's what I recommend - the Fell Man Overboard wireless device.  Kill switches are a PITA with the lanyard you will forget to hook up the one time you need it.  The Fell system has a little fob you put in your pocket, and it kills the engine if you get 40 feet away or if you fall in water.  Easy!  I've been using this for a couple years now and it works well.  It's also a nice security item if you have your boat at the dock and walk away for a while - no one can take your boat unless you are within 40 feet!  There are lots of sad stories of people falling overboard - especially when fishing alone - and either drowning or being run over by their own boat.  Check out the Fell system: 

https://www.fellmarine.com/landingpage5/ 

Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal