You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Did I wire these three batteries to my switch correctly?  (Read 585 times)

June 08, 2012, 11:02:08 AM
Read 585 times

SpruceDeuce

• Information Offline
Did I wire these three batteries to my switch correctly?
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
Can anyone tell me if I've re-done this battery wiring correctly? (or incorrectly as the case may be...)

The middle battery is my starting battery, I've got the ground from the motor on this one and the positive going to switch post 1.

I've got the two accessory batteries wired in parallel, with a positive lead from that bank going to switch post 2.

Red starting wire is on common on the switch.  The accessories are hard wired into battery two at the moment.  (The accessory wires don't reach the common post on the switch.  I'll fix that later.)

Here's my question, On the perko diagram it looks like they've got the negative wires of the two batteries linked, going to the ground on the motor.  Should I have the negative from one of the batteries in the parallel bank going to the negative on my starting battery?  

June 08, 2012, 12:04:14 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
Re: Did I wire these three batteries to my switch correctly?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
Looks okay from what I can see and what you describe.

It's normal for ALL battery negatives to be wired together.

You can find lots of advice about not connecting batteries in parallel other than momentarily for jump start purposes.  The weakest battery will drag the other battery down to it's level.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 08, 2012, 12:16:45 PM
Reply #2

SpruceDeuce

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:16:45 PM »
Okay, so I DO need to tie all of the negatives together....That's what I'm looking for.  I just wasn't sure because of the parallel wiring.

I suppose I will wire the two group 24's together in parallel and make the group 27 my starting battery.  I had the extra battery lying around and I run a stereo and livewell and a 12v fan all day while anchored.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the extra juice. The previous owner had the switch wired incorrectly, basically opposite of the way the diagram states, so I already was in there re-wiring.

Thanks!

June 08, 2012, 05:53:38 PM
Reply #3

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »
I'd suggest using the one black wire you have on the positive side of the middle battery to join the negative terminals together and get a new red wire to replace it.  I find having the wrong color wire can confuse people.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

June 08, 2012, 07:52:36 PM
Reply #4

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
Quote from: "wingtime"
I'd suggest using the one black wire you have on the positive side of the middle battery to join the negative terminals together and get a new red wire to replace it. I find having the wrong color wire can confuse people.

On board welding?? :shock:  :shock:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

June 09, 2012, 01:43:45 AM
Reply #5

SpruceDeuce

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:43:45 AM »
I'm lucky that I had enough terminals as it is....let alone the right color!  

Good eye Wingtime.....it doesn't confuse ya if ya know what you're lookin' at!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal