You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: New switch panel purchase! Will this be plug-n-play?  (Read 2239 times)

November 24, 2010, 08:40:21 PM
Read 2239 times

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
New switch panel purchase! Will this be plug-n-play?
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
Finally made my way over to Marine Connection Liquidators today.  OMG.  :shock:  That place is a mecca of boat stuff.  Puts Marine Surplus to shame!  I only had 2 hours, but I could have easily spent 6 hours.

Picked up this new switch panel, including switches, and wiring harness for $161.  LOOKS like it will be relatively easy, but I'm wondering how long I should anticipate the job taking.  For those of you who have replaced yours-- how long did it take?

The new panel is a TM model, but has all the same switches as my original:

Who knows, I might even get ambitious and do my install in between helpings of Turkey!  :lol:
1997 Aquasport 225, 200hp Johnson OceanPro

November 24, 2010, 08:59:19 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: New switch panel purchase! Will this be plug-n-play?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:59:19 PM »
Quote from: "Glock Diver"
Finally made my way over to Marine Connection Liquidators today.  OMG.  :shock:  That place is a mecca of boat stuff.  Puts Marine Surplus to shame!  I only had 2 hours, but I could have easily spent 6 hours.

Picked up this new switch panel, including switches, and wiring harness for $161.  LOOKS like it will be relatively easy, but I'm wondering how long I should anticipate the job taking.  For those of you who have replaced yours-- how long did it take?

The new panel is a TM model, but has all the same switches as my original:

Who knows, I might even get ambitious and do my install in between helpings of Turkey!  :lol:

Mike,
AWESOME PURCHASE!!!  Absolutely plug and play!  The 3 main plugs will mate up exactly with your hull harness, the coiled up blue/blacks are your courtesy lights, should have a coiled up pink/black (I think... :scratch: ) for the fuel sender, another coiled up blue/black for the compass light...

You are good to go, dude! :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Just thought of something.  See the big blue plug which is your helm feed?  Cut that plug off both the panel and the hull harness and butt together with a 6GA heat shrink butt.  Those blue plugs were, and still are, pieces of crap!

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 24, 2010, 09:03:29 PM
Reply #2

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »
As far as time, you should plan a few hours to make it look really good.  At least you can sit inside the console, have a few beers handy...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 24, 2010, 10:03:00 PM
Reply #3

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Sweet, I just might try to get up early tomorrow before the Mrs. and get to work on this project... It'll keep me outta the kitchen, anyways.

I think I've got some extra butt heat shrink connectors. Thanks for the tip Bob.

Ever been to that Marine Connection place in Ft. Pierce?  It's like 2 warehouses full of boat gear. It took alot of self control not to blow my next paycheck on other projects!

November 24, 2010, 10:25:43 PM
Reply #4

pete

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
nice panel glock,its the same as mine,that place has more stuff than you can even imagine,too bad its not better organized.they have all the stuff for your fresh water system too,most of it is OEM  :salut:
2003  Osprey 225
Palm Bay FL

November 24, 2010, 10:33:03 PM
Reply #5

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
Mike,
If I ever need to redo an AS, I will be sure to get over there.  Marine Surplus seemed to have dropped the ball when it came to obsolete AS/WC stuff...kinda weird considering they were less than a 1/2 a mile from the plant...

The panel you bought?  Looks identical when I used to unwrap them 12-13-14 years ago... :thumleft:  :thumleft:  :thumleft:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 25, 2010, 08:35:36 AM
Reply #6

WhazzupII

• Information Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:35:36 AM »
Wow, I definately have to pay them a visit. Just Google mapped it, and it's two hours from me........worth the trip for sure!

November 25, 2010, 09:43:21 AM
Reply #7

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
I was up before the sun today, and got to work.  Took about 90 minutes, but I'm not quite done yet. Need to tidy up the wires, and do some major cleaning.  :x  And figure out how to run my 4 electronic items better (VHF, Sonar, Stereo, and GPS).  It had been jerry-rigged by prior owner, which I knew, but haven't done anything about it.  Now seems like the time.

Anywho, here's how she looks now:

Should install a bus bar under the console to distribute power to those electronic items?  what do you think?    :scratch:

During my install, I noticed these mystery wires.  Any idea where they feed to?  Doesn't appear they were ever utilized.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

November 25, 2010, 12:22:07 PM
Reply #8

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 12:22:07 PM »
:thumleft:
It's amazing how a new panel, instrument, accessory can turn the look and feel of your boat around.

My guess would be that the extra wiring was intended for a future install of the infamous Cap'n John Fillet/Blender board.
With Black Friday ahead, he may be running a special. 8)
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

November 25, 2010, 06:24:11 PM
Reply #9

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 06:24:11 PM »
I was up before the sun today, and got to work.  Took about 90 minutes, but I'm not quite done yet. Need to tidy up the wires, and do some major cleaning.  :x  And figure out how to run my 4 electronic items better (VHF, Sonar, Stereo, and GPS).  It had been jerry-rigged by prior owner, which I knew, but haven't done anything about it.  Now seems like the time.

Anywho, here's how she looks now:

Should install a bus bar under the console to distribute power to those electronic items?  what do you think?    :scratch:

During my install, I noticed these mystery wires.  Any idea where they feed to?  Doesn't appear they were ever utilized.

And a Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Jar my memory here.  Orange, trim tabs, yellow stereo memory, brown w/blue stripe fresh water pump...I think...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 26, 2010, 11:15:12 AM
Reply #10

Mark Sr

• Information Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »
Looks great.Was that a one and only panel like that,or did they have others.How about the shifter like you have,did you see any of those?
Mark Sr

\'98 Aquasport 245 Tournament Master

November 26, 2010, 05:10:56 PM
Reply #11

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »
Quote from: "Mark Sr"
Looks great.Was that a one and only panel like that,or did they have others.How about the shifter like you have,did you see any of those?

Mark-

Oh yes, they have many switch panels for all makes of boats. About an entire 30' aisle, in fact.  Plenty of Aquasport selection.  Plan to spend a couple hours at least, as the place is enormous, and alot of their inventory isn't well organized.

Yes, I did see binnacles/throttle levers.  You'd have to sort through their inventory to see if they have your correct model.

November 26, 2010, 05:31:48 PM
Reply #12

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
Mark,
Your binnacle was installed by the thousands back 10-15 years ago.  The "key" is to finding one with the key switch in the binnacle housing...

If you search and search but can't find one, BRPs single will hook up to the same cables you have...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

November 26, 2010, 07:56:02 PM
Reply #13

Glock Diver

• Information Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Bob,

I installed a bus bar under the console to power my 4 electronic items: VHF, sonar, stereo, & GPS... Is it safe to power those 4 from the one breaker on my panel?  Or should I spread it out to the other breaker?

Most of the items have their own in-line fuses.

November 26, 2010, 08:11:25 PM
Reply #14

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
Bob,

I installed a bus bar under the console to power my 4 electronic items: VHF, sonar, stereo, & GPS... Is it safe to power those 4 from the one breaker on my panel?  Or should I spread it out to the other breaker?

Most of the items have their own in-line fuses.

10A for the breaker, then use the inlines to protect the individual circuits...

If you were using the breaker to supply power to one device, I would recommend ditching the inline and let the breaker do it's job.  But since you have multiple devices, and should there be an issue with either one, the inlines will protect the device that has an issue, yet allow the the breaker to power up the others on the same branch with no adverse effects...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal