Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Used several....just never thought how to rig one  (Read 684 times)

April 29, 2009, 09:58:43 AM
Read 684 times

campbell

• Information Offline
Used several....just never thought how to rig one
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:58:43 AM »
Anybody know how top drives or second helms are rigged?  obviously both wheels dont turn when you turn one, what ties both sets of hydraulic lines to the motor, anybody have any pics?

April 29, 2009, 11:00:52 AM
Reply #1

Treefish

• Information Offline
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMj9hRafqyQ
Re: Used several....just never thought how to rig one
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
I read about this the other day at teleflex's website.

it look as if your lower/main helm needs to be capable of sending 3 lines out of it. The 2 main lines are T'd off, sending the lines back to the steering cylinder and also to the upper helm.  The 3rd line runs from the lower helm to the upper helm and is called a compensating cable.

Here's a link: scroll down to figure J http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/HOSE_TUB ... b_hose.htm

May 01, 2009, 12:35:13 AM
Reply #2

slippery73

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
Both wheels turn when you turn one with hydraulic. The helms have more inputs/outputs than they need, you essentially just run another line from top helm to bottom then send hoses to engine.

May 01, 2009, 07:26:36 AM
Reply #3

John Jones

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 07:26:36 AM »
On mine the hydraulic lines from the 2 helm stations are just connected with Tee fittings at the lower station.  There is also a 3rd line between the two helm units.  I think they call it an "equalizer" line.  Fill plugs are different as well.  Top station has normal vented fill plug.  Lower station has a sealed plug with no vent.  I don't remember my steering wheels turning together but then I can't see the other from either station.  Adding fluid is done at the top station because if you open the lower fill plug gravity will drain the upper station out through the lower fill hole.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal