You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Dual Station rigging question  (Read 2913 times)

March 22, 2013, 09:29:18 PM
Reply #30

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Dual Station rigging question
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »
Quote from: "Group W Bench"
Fernando,

1) Respectfully, there is a distinction between "cannot" and "should not". I never said the 1.7 cannot be used in dual station applications. I said that the 1.7 Seastar should not be used in dual station outboard applications due to potential loss of steering and still stand behind that assertion. If I am aware of a potentially dangerous situation, then I cannot and should not rig a boat that way when an easy fix (2.0 Pro helm) exists for our customers. Again, in all things steering and fuel, an abundance of caution is never a bad thing.

2) Sheep need lovin' too.

Which answers the question, "Why do Scottish men wear kilts?"...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

March 22, 2013, 09:50:33 PM
Reply #31

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
Good sheep are prized livestock. When the farmwife found the farmer tending his sheep, she yelled "My gawd, what are you doing?"

"Mutton, honey"

Many good sheep stories to relate (most involve traveling salesman)

You boys show up on the 6th....we'll get 'er done :lol:

March 22, 2013, 09:51:42 PM
Reply #32

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Quote from: "Group W Bench"
Odd, because Marc is the same person at Teleflex who explained the issue with the 1.7 helms in dual station applications and the root cause of the issue within the helm pump.

Eugene,
I would imagine it's along the line of "don't let this get out there, but, there have been a few reported problems..."

In Teleflex's eyes, it still works (the 5271) for dual station applications, albeit there have been some issues.  I have done many dual station installs using 5271s at both stations, and seeing as I, like you, get to know my customers pretty well, I most likely would have heard about steering issues had they arisen.

Bob,

I may hear about the loss of steering condition more than most folks, as I like to pick other builders' brains about why they rig certain ways. It helps us get better at rigging. As you know, when you talk to a lot of builders, you find out quickly what is failing, and what is a potential claim on your generally insufficient product liability insurance. The dual station Seastar 1.7 steering loss issue came up with enough frequency a few years ago that I did some research to gain a better understanding. Local builders who you know ended up with a new boat purchased by an experienced boater in the mangroves inside of Stump Pass due to the loss of steering. The conclusion was to go 2.0 Pro or Uflex.

March 22, 2013, 11:02:29 PM
Reply #33

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 11:02:29 PM »
As of the past few years, I have been leaning towards UFlex, Eugene, much to the chagrin of Marc and John Dority, my Teleflex rep whom I HOPE has retired by now!  The only problem is, customers are familiar with Seastar, not UFlex.  Hopefully, that changes over the next few years, as I know TOO many people that are getting tired of check valves failing in helm pumps (ever come out in the morn and your engine has leaned over when you KNOW it was centered last night?), and changing out end gland seals on the cylinders...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal