Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Aquasport Model Rebuilds, Mods, Updates and Refreshes > 270/281/286/ 290 XF/Osprey Owners Group

Balsa core?

(1/4) > >>

farnz1611:
Hi everyone,
     I am new to the site and in the process of upgrading to a larger boat.  At the this time I have a 1976 23 mako that I have redone over the past few years.  I have been thinking about selling the mako and upgrading to a Aquasport 290 tournament master.  I have always liked the look and setup of the 290 but have herd that it may have a balsa core in the hull.   I am wondering if anyone knows if there is wood coring in these boats below the water line or in the stringers.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as i start my journey to find a new boat.

RickK:
Hi farnz and welcome aboard.
Aquasport never used wood in the stringers, they were always solid glass trapezoid filled with foam. The deck will probably be glass encapsulated end grain balsa. You should also find plywood on the undersides of the walkways around the cabin. The underside of the cap around the cockpit might have encapsulated wood in it too.Usually there is no wood where water might be. Look around in the forum you're currently in and see what you find.

farnz1611:
Awesome!!! Thank you for your response.  I read through most of the posts and couldn't find anything about wood in the hull but wanted to check.  Seems like a great boat for the price.  I was just trying to figure out why a big good looking boat would be priced so low.  I have found a few good looking ones with newer engines for under 10 k.

RickK:
I would venture to guess the transom in them is wood too. $10k is reasonable - I see some on ebay at 40k+

mshugg:
There’s a 286 listed on Orlando Craigslist for 5k.  If you were interested in a project, it could be awesome with a bracket anc twin 300s.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version