Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Need Help on 1986 222 CCP  (Read 3331 times)

August 01, 2012, 08:08:45 AM
Reply #30

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re: Need Help on 1986 222 CCP
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 08:08:45 AM »
Quote from: "Big Nels"
OK it has been AWHILE since I did any type of work on my CCP (personal issues).  But I have been doing a lot of thinking about my boat.  I'm gonna go ahead and pull up the entire deck.  I did cut out the soft area and found everything was soaked. Almost looks like the previous owner sunk the boat. Then I'm going to replace the transom with the flatback idea.  I'll throw in some bulkheads to hold up the new deck and replace the foam and the deck.  But I have a few questions dealing with storage, fuel tanks, and power.  I'm going to be running this boat miles off the coast, considering that, I was thinking to put 2 motors on the back of her.  Doing that I was thinking of putting two fuel tanks in her on the outside of the existing stringers and then using the area that was used for a fuel tank for storage or a large fish box.  My questions are, what are the pros and cons of 2 outboards.  I was looking to put a 200hp or a 225hp four-stroker on there.  So I would probably throw 2 115hps or 2 130hps on her.  Second question is about the fuel tanks.  First is it possible to run 2 engines off one tank. And secondly is the the area next to the gunnels on the outside of the stringers a good place to put a fuel tank?

Good morning Nels,

If you check "Recent Posts" you will see discussion on singles and twins. If she is going offshore, to me twins make great sense.

You would want to rig her with a single tank, large as possible, TWIN pickups.

The idea of two tanks outboard of the stringers, I'd forget for several reasons:

Weight placement. You want the weight dead center, low in the boat as possible. This makes the boat ride as designed, and aids with entry in a seaway.

Balance: Fuel gauges only go so far, the boat could list to starboard or port depending on the weight per side.

Safety: If you lose fuel delivery to one engine, you are unable to switch hoses, tee off, etc.

Cost: You are buying and installing two tanks.

Resale: Will be more difficult, altered from original engineering.

If you decide on twins, to maximize their benefit, you want to rig them separately. Separate fuel, electrical, ignition switches, etc. Seabob will advise the best way to isolate the systems, yet still have the ability to tie together for safety/get home ability.

Hope this helps, best to you and your project!

August 01, 2012, 09:41:26 AM
Reply #31

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »
Nels every thing gran said is correct. Also once you get the deck out, you will see that you have all the room you need, for a longer fuel tank in front of the console. So there is no reason to even try to put two fuel tanks on the port and starboard sides. I have a 81 222ccp. I plan to close in my transom and add a flotation bracket with twin 130’s and a 100 gal. fuel tank in the future.

August 10, 2012, 02:14:32 PM
Reply #32

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »
Thank you for your input!!  but today i saw what i want to do with my boat......  It was an early to mid 80's Mako.  Complete restoration.  it looked like this guy did everything that i have wanted and more.  the boat looked like a brand new Parker.  It looked like he cut the inner hull about 6 inches down from the top and removed all inner gunnel walls.  one thing now he could run the floor from gunnel to gunnel.  another thing is it opens up the boat.  almost giving it more room,  well at least it looked that way.  also with doing that he could remove that top piece with ease.  I just have a few questions.  would doing this take away from the structural strength of the boat?  would this make the boat a little lighter or significantly lighter?

August 10, 2012, 03:20:35 PM
Reply #33

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
Can you shoot us some pics :lol:

August 10, 2012, 10:48:04 PM
Reply #34

fishinonthebrain

• Information Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Pic's please. :lol:
1987 222CCP current rebuild.

August 11, 2012, 07:48:08 PM
Reply #35

Big Nels

• Information Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »
im gonna have to run back up to the boat yard to take photos.  didnt think about it at the time,  figured someone would know what i was talking about.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal