You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Euro transoms... I dont understand the trend  (Read 6148 times)

February 04, 2014, 01:44:43 PM
Read 6148 times

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
Euro transoms... I dont understand the trend
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
Ive been asking around locally trying to get an answer other than a shrug.  Whats the benefit/purpose of the euro transom? I dont get it. From a purely fishing perspective, why would you want to be fishing 3-5 feet from the water? If you are on anchor the current will have you fishing off the stern. I get that its like having a built in swim platform which is fine for pleasure boats, but I dont see the practical fishing application of being that far from the water. It seems every new model in the fishing category is going with a euro transom. Sure, if your a larger sportfisher with a tuna door pulling in tuna it makes sense. For the 18-25 ft category I dont understand it. Can someone explain the benefits?
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

February 04, 2014, 02:25:16 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Euro transoms... I dont understand the trend
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
It looks cool...to some.  Other than that... :roll:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 04, 2014, 03:21:28 PM
Reply #2

ceejkay

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »
Quote from: "kaptainkoz"
I get that its like having a built in swim platform which is fine for pleasure boats

that right there. a lot of people want dual purpose boats with fishing as a primary. also you dont get the wash over the transom when your backing down on a fish or when you come off a plane to quick. lastly it makes a good spot to put a large live well, instead of a 55 gal drum strapped to the back of the boat. thats just my opinion, i could be way wrong though

February 04, 2014, 04:21:41 PM
Reply #3

saltfly

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 04:21:41 PM »
I can’t speak for all the different boats being built, that way, but the few that I’ve looked at. Are no different then  boats with a full transom and a bracket. I assume, that the designer, is looking for the same benefits from the Euro transom, that you get with a bracket. I saw some that the bottom ran straight back and  some that had a step. Don’t know which is best. I did talk to one rep. from one of the builders and he said as much. So I guess you could look at it that way.The ones with the step, do give clean water for the prop, having the step sitting the motor back just as far as a bracket would.

February 04, 2014, 05:07:49 PM
Reply #4

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 05:07:49 PM »
Pretty much all that has been said above.  As you can see in my signature, I have a 205 Osprey with the euro transom.  I am also rebuilding a 22 flatback that will have an enclosed transom with a fairly deep transom cap, along with a small swim platform, so I am going to be about the same distance from the water with either boat.  I think a benefit of the euro transom is appearance, but that is obviously a personal opinion that not everyone shares.  I think you also get a longer running surface compared to an identical length boat with a bracket, which should help with the ride.  I will also say that one of the biggest negatives of the euro transom, at least on the 205, is that it is a real PITA to work on anything in the bilge.  I suppose some boats are designed with better access, but the 205 is built for a young, limber man (which I am not  :roll: ).  In the end, it comes down to personal preference.
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

February 04, 2014, 05:33:50 PM
Reply #5

MarshMarlowe196

• Information Offline
    • http://www.keywestboatsforum.com
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:33:50 PM »
I think it's a styling that's expected on newer boats.  They all seem to have the Euro transoms now, so your typical first time boat buyer sees a boat without a Euro transom and perceives it as low quality.  Kinda like bow pulpits - you used to see them on every boat, and they served as a nice place to mount a windlass, but you'd be hard pressed to find a bow pulpit on any of the latest models.  As for my boat, my KW makes good use of the Euro transom.  Nice big livewell located in the center of the stern, so no listing issues with a livewell off to one side or the other.  It also provides more substantial area for the removeable jump seats I really like, which most newer boats offer now.  Seems everyone wants a family crossover these days. Once the seats are removed, I have 4 rod holders.  

(not my boat pictured)

The Euro transoms usually have a small molded splashwell which serves its own purpose, but it also helps to hide some of the unsightly rigging (when done properly) with having a rigging boot closer to the motor.  I'm only comparing this to my old 19-6, because the rigging came out of the floor chase cover at the far starboard corner of the stern, and much of it was visible.  I also have some useful port and starboard storage doors, so all in all, the Euro transom serves a purpose at least on my boat.  But, like CLM says, working on things buried down in the bilge from a small splashwell hatch are a real pain in whatever part of your body you managed to squeeze in.

I do sometimes miss the bit of extra open deck space that was available on my 19-6.
Key West 1720 / Yam C90

Sold: 1973 Aquasport 19-6

February 04, 2014, 06:59:46 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:59:46 PM »
Boy that looks like fun ^^^  :roll:
I think the trend toward the Euro and full transom came from feeling safer. That's a whole other topic that's been tackled here and other sites..
I'll take my open transom over enclosed or Euro any day - I didn't lose the 3 ft of usable space.

My $.02
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

February 04, 2014, 07:17:24 PM
Reply #7

Aswaff400

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:17:24 PM »
i like open transoms, i like closed transoms, i like euro transoms... but i really like an open euro transom!!! just depends on the style of boat....

Aaron
1996 200 Osprey SOLD
1968 22-2 Flatback SOLD
1993 210 Explorer SOLD
1991 Fountain 31TE SOLD
1989 Fountain 12-meter SOLD
1992 Talon F-20 SOLD
2021 Fountain 38TE QUAD 400's

February 04, 2014, 07:36:20 PM
Reply #8

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
Those are Calcutta's, aren't they, Aaron.  My "jury" is still out on the looks of them, and the functionality, and the fact that in snotty conditions, we could be shipping quite a bit of water...granted, it may drain almost as soon as it enters, but wives and kiddies could get a bit nervous.

I know, throw them a few hundred and tell them to go shopping!!! :cheers:  :cheers:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 04, 2014, 07:55:41 PM
Reply #9

Aswaff400

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:55:41 PM »
yup, calcutta. remember for the wives/kids the transome does fold up, best of 3 worlds! or let them go overboard and keep on truckin LOL
Aaron
1996 200 Osprey SOLD
1968 22-2 Flatback SOLD
1993 210 Explorer SOLD
1991 Fountain 31TE SOLD
1989 Fountain 12-meter SOLD
1992 Talon F-20 SOLD
2021 Fountain 38TE QUAD 400's

February 04, 2014, 08:21:11 PM
Reply #10

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
LOL, forgot about that!  I'm not a cat fan, so I don't pay much attention to them, Glacier Bays, ProKats, whatever...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

February 04, 2014, 10:44:09 PM
Reply #11

wingtime

• Information Offline
    • http://50newtmotorclub.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
i used to wonder why anyone would want a euro transom.  For all the reasons you ask... plus the wasted space etc etc.  Until I bought my Explorer...  now I love it and wouldn't own a boat without one.
1998 Explorer w/ Etec 250

1987 170 w/ Evinrude 90

February 05, 2014, 01:03:18 AM
Reply #12

kaptainkoz

• Information Offline
    • http://www.stevenkozlowski.com
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 01:03:18 AM »
Great responses and point of views everyone, thanks. I definitely get that its better than the old school open transom, and personally for me the answer is to close the cutout and mount a bracket without a swim platform so at least i have a clear shot to the water on either side of the bracket. I see that a euro transom is more of an aesthetic/hybrid feature than some must have performance feature. To each their own. I am not a boater, I am a fisherman. The boat is nothing more than a piece of tackle to get closer to the fish so it's difficult for me to think in any other design mode. They sure are pretty though!
1979 246 CCP project boat in development, Jones Inlet-Long Island NY
Steven Kozlowski. Captainkoz@aol.com

February 05, 2014, 11:51:07 AM
Reply #13

bondobill

• Information Offline
  • West Coast
    • http://www.charliesautobodyinc.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
Quote from: "kaptainkoz"
To each their own. I am not a boater, I am a fisherman. The boat is nothing more than a piece of tackle to get closer to the fish so it's difficult for me to think in any other design mode. They sure are pretty though!

KOZ  :thumright:
My thoughts exactly. I have never been a fan of the euro.

If I didn't fish I probably wouldn't own a boat.
Toyed with the idea for years of getting a little larger boat in the 24 to 26' range, would like to find something with a few more creature comforts in the cuddy like a head and a place to get out of the weather...for the women  :roll: ..

I refuse to put a mortgage back on the house to buy a new boat so that leaves me looking for a boat built prior to the euro era..per 90s I am guessing. Now that leaves me probably looking at boats that are going to need work such as transom, floor, wiring replacement ect ect.

While at my age I ain't going there. Every day working on the boat is one less day I could be fishing.

So I guess I just have to keep running my old girl until that perfect boat...that some one else has rebuilt and put a ton of money in ......comes up for sale  :lol:

Bill
1979 222 FF

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill

Bill

February 05, 2014, 12:39:34 PM
Reply #14

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 12:39:34 PM »
Let's look at an interesting comparison between 2 boats featured very prominently here...Rick's 230 Explorer, and Bruce's 245 Explorer, which evolved from the 230.  As far as I know, the 230 has basically the same cockpit space as Bruce's 245, yet Bruce's LOA is 2' longer (the 245 later became the 250, and it's actual molded length is more like 26').  Same usable space, yet the increased LOA can/does have an impact on insurance rates.

My personal preference is an enclosed transom boat, transom door, walking out to a full width engine bracket.  Fernando's 19-6 has a full width Armstrong that is very easy to manuever on whether fighting a fish or taking a leak, yet his 19-6 still has the full 19 1/2' devoted to the cockpit.  

Yes, I like the look of the Euro-transom (the builder's call it Integrated Swim Platform), and, given a wide enough "ledge" in front of the motors, can be relatively easy to manuever around on.  The Explorers and Ospreys did it well.  Conversely, the same Euro look on the Stamas boats, well, the spaces on the platform were just to small (almost precarious) to be considered useful...so there goes 3' of LOA down the tubes...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal