Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 1976 19'-6" Center Console  (Read 1305 times)

June 19, 2005, 12:46:55 AM
Read 1305 times

pbailey

• Information Offline
1976 19'-6" Center Console
« on: June 19, 2005, 12:46:55 AM »
New to the forum, so first I would like to say hello.

My brother and me picked up the subject boat on a nice aluminium tandem trailer with a 145 Evinrude.  

The cost was $800 plus the installation of a exterior french door in the man's house.  That took us about 6 hours. The trailer was worth more than that.

I had been out on the boat and it ran o.k. but it had some issue's.

We towed it home and it sat for about a year.  We finally got to looking into things and the first thing we did was a compression test. 3 of 4 cylinders were great, the other only 20 psi.  The outboard was 20 years old. Decision was made to get a new outboard.  Got a good deal on a Yamaha F90. Transom is in pretty good shape, some damp wood but not any rot or delamination, several holes drilled and found damp wood in the area's adjacent to the motor mount bolt holes.  Decision was made to mount the motor up for now.  Got some break in hours on the motor and when we could get it to full throttle, she really moved. GPS indicated 38 MPH.  No flex to the tramsom.  It did want to list a little to port.  

The deck had a soft spot where a couple of inspection plates had been installed  and we got after that today.  Cut a portion of the top deck skin to outside the limits of the deck rot and peeled that away.

The bad plywood was removed to reveal what I knew to be there, waterlogged foam.

The foam from just ahead of the console to the transom was soaked.

We removed the foam from the port side to the first stringer from about midship to transom.  Our next move was to find out if the stringers were toast.  I wasn't sure of the construction of the stringers.  I drilled a small hole in the stringer to see if the wood was wet. When the bit went in with no resistence, my heart sank.  I then took the grinder and cut a hole big enough to see what was going on in there and to my relief, there was no wood only bone dry foam. Checked a few more spots and everything was dry.  We figure the water was getting in through the poorley installed  inspection plates.  Little to no sealent under plate ring. Ckecked the bilge in the center section, dry. Checked the bilge on the starboard side, dry.

Am I correct in thinking that the only wood in the boat is deck, transom and misc. hard points for mounting hardware??

Checked the whole hull for weak spots and found it to be very soild.  

Next move is to refoam, repair deck and paint with non skid.

The gelcoat is faded and dull like most boats with age on them.  There are  a number of blisters below the waterline as well.  Opened a couple of them up and they were dry inside. They are mostly about 1/8" to 1/2" in diameter.  Looked like they came from a time when the boat was left in the water for extended periods of time, not sure.  

Looks like we got a good deal and with some time this classic can be brought back to ship shape without allot of grief.

Just thought I would share what might be a nice comeback for this Aquasport.

pbailey

June 19, 2005, 07:52:11 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 07:52:11 AM »
Welcome aboard pbailey.  We'd all appreciate some pics, if you have 'em, so we can learn/reminisce too.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

June 19, 2005, 10:14:53 AM
Reply #2

Anonymous

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
RickK

I will get some pic's.  Need to reload camera program, it was giving me some problems so I uninstalled it.

I'll get the pic's of where we are now and get some as we repair.  We are fisherman and 99% of this boat use will be for that.  Not sure of the level of restoration we will undertake.  

I would like to see it a full blown outfit, but we don't have access to indoor facilities.  If that were to change, we would be able to undertake some of that  during the winter.  

With brand new power and a pretty sound platform, I think she deserves it. :)

pbailey

June 20, 2005, 05:02:12 AM
Reply #3

steved

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:02:12 AM »
Welcome aboard Pbailey.  Glad to have you with us.

In regard to your question about where the wood is, you are correct. The stringers are all glass, with foam inside. If you found dry foam, you are in good shape, as lots of older Aquasport have the foam completely waterlogged.  Keep an eye on that transom - it's the other critical point.
22.2 CCP (1982)

June 20, 2005, 06:13:34 PM
Reply #4

pbailey

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 06:13:34 PM »
Posted some pic's.

They are in the documentation gallery. Sorry, I will try to move them to rebuild gallery.

pbailey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal