Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Gause 26  (Read 4194 times)

September 08, 2014, 06:53:45 PM
Reply #15

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
Re:
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »
Quote from: "CLM65"
Hmmm, I would guess that that one is about 14 feet long, and looks great.  8 feet may not be very effective, and may not look very "balanced".  Anybody have any experience with short spray rails?

Guess it WOULD look a little weird at 8 feet. Although they are different boats.....mine wets you from the front third.

September 08, 2014, 07:57:20 PM
Reply #16

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
Re: Gause 26
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
Love that transom, Eugene!

How far back do the spray rails go?  I've been debating adding spray rails on my flatback, but the shipping costs for a full length (20') piece is a killer.  It is fairly economical if they ship it in two 8' pieces (I would have to buy 20' and lose 4' of it).  I just don't know if 8' per side will be enough.

If'n I were redoing a flatback, I would not install the same spray rail extrusions that I utilized on the Boca Grande. They are mighty wide concave extrusions at nearly 2 3/4"-3" wide and probably 2"-2 1/2" tall. On a 22-2 flatback, they would stick out like the proverbial turd in a punchbowl. Aesthetically, they are simply too big. Additionally, they are a raging pain in the arse to install if you want to eliminate the gap on the top edge between the hull and the extrusion. Functionally, they serve as reverse chines when extended below the waterline. This would create some mighty quick/jerky turns if extended too far below the waterline. They are basically akin to the parabolic edge of a ski when flexed in the center. As the chine digs, they are cutting into the water like a parabola and the laminar flow of water over the concave chine is much like that of snow over a flexed parabolic ski edge. The 22-2 flatback, even with an extended keel is limited in forward straight line tracking. When properly balanced and trimmed, the deep forefoot/keel of the flatback is almost completely out of the water, so there is little to keep the hull tracking other than the short keel (hopefully extended per Capt'n Matt's sage advice). Therefore, I see little advantage to a concave spray rail extrusion on a 22-2 flatback.

Alternatively, I would suggest a short 1 1/2 box section installed along the chine similar to the spray rail installed on Orlando's 24' extended flatback. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12005&hilit=lengthened+flatback  
These are simple spray rails extending 1 1/2" from the chine in a simple box section without any concave shape. I don't think it is necessary to extend them all the way to the transom, as the spray spitting on a flatback only occurs where the water meets the chine. Nevertheless, a lot of folks including Bill Miller, who I greatly respect, have decided to extend spray rails all the way to the transom on their 22-2's . I do not understand the logic, but I will be damned if I will argue with my respected elders such as Bill Miller about what works on a boat. They have forgotten more about boats than I will likely ever know.

September 08, 2014, 09:21:07 PM
Reply #17

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »
Thanks Eugene.  I wasn't necessarily thinking about that exact spray rail, but maybe something like the Barbour Plastics model R1010.  Bottom line - is 8' too short to be worthwhile?
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

September 08, 2014, 10:27:13 PM
Reply #18

gran398

• Information Offline
  • Purgatory
    • http://www.ascottrhodes.com
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 10:27:13 PM »
Another source, and a vendor here on CAS. We receive a discount:

http://www.integritymarinecorp.com/Toe- ... Rails.html

PM sent.

September 08, 2014, 11:05:55 PM
Reply #19

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
Thanks Eugene.  I wasn't necessarily thinking about that exact spray rail, but maybe something like the Barbour Plastics model R1010.  Bottom line - is 8' too short to be worthwhile?

My personal belief is that a properly weighted and trimmed 22-2 (flatback or modified 12 degree) does not need spray rails at all. There are pretty girls with inherent quirks like the Boca Grande 26 or the Dorado 30 that undoubtedly need some help in the realm of spray to be gorgeous girls who won't drive you crazy from wetness and spray. These are like the otherwise beautiful girls in school with buck teeth that were quickly beautified with a little grooming and attention. These sorts of girls benefit dramatically from a good set of spray rails.  I don't think that the flatback 22-2 or the 12 degree 22-2 are girls that need these sorts of orthodontic braces. As previously stated, there are folks with more grey matter than me, with whom I will not argue who wholeheartedly disagree, but I think your flatback with proper weighting and trim does not need sprayrails at all. Candidly, I would ask guys like Capt'n Matt and Steve Betz who spend a couple of hundred days a year on their rigs a year. Those boys know their flatback boats like the back of their hands. I don't think either of them have added spray rails, but I couldn't say either way with any confidence. The boys who make their living on the water are the folks from whom you should solicit real world advice in my opinion. My advice is simply theoretical mental masturbation and worth exactly what you paid for it.

September 08, 2014, 11:29:08 PM
Reply #20

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
Quote from: "Group W Bench"
The boys who make their living on the water are the folks from whom you should solicit real world advice in my opinion.

Words of wisdom right there...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 08, 2014, 11:33:42 PM
Reply #21

Group W Bench

• Information Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
Quote from: "seabob4"
Quote from: "Group W Bench"
The boys who make their living on the water are the folks from whom you should solicit real world advice in my opinion.

Words of wisdom right there...

Bob,

That is the PR way of saying that I don't know shite. It is all theory and stuff that works in books. The folks who make their living on the water are the ones who actually know.

September 08, 2014, 11:46:21 PM
Reply #22

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:21 PM »
Eugene...don't bullchit a bullchitter... :wink:

Corner of 520 and A1A...

September 09, 2014, 05:55:52 AM
Reply #23

CLM65

• Information Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 05:55:52 AM »
Thanks a bunch Eugene.  I'm with Bob here - you've provided me a butload of great information that is worth far more than what I've paid for.  As you know, my flatback went straight from Scotty's used boat lot to the side of my house for the rebuild, so I have exactly 0 hours actually running it.  I would love to hear from some experience flatback operators, but I suspect it would agree with your recommendation.
Craig

2002 205 Osprey, 200 HP Yamaha OX66

1967 22-2 Flatback (Rebuild in progress)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal