You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Trailer for 222 Flatback - Recomm./Suggestions?  (Read 1486 times)

September 20, 2005, 08:37:23 AM
Read 1486 times

Rayos

• Information Offline
Trailer for 222 Flatback - Recomm./Suggestions?
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:37:23 AM »
Any brand or set-up suggestions?  Want the boat to sit right and come up easy...

Thanks,
Ray

September 21, 2005, 08:53:31 AM
Reply #1

Radioshop

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:53:31 AM »
I bought an Aluminum Continental for mine, it was in stock at Kendall Trailers out by Tamiami airport.  It's not a Boatmaster or, Loadmaster, but it's not the worst trailer I've seen either and it was cheap.  It did come with Carlisle tires, which I reckon at some point I'll have to change.  I use davits, so I can't say how well or poorly it works at the boat ramp.  I went with a bunk trailer because the maintenance on roller trailers is really intensive.   Adjusting was a snap with davits.  

If you get a bunk trailer, make sure it has forward guide bunks on it.  This is another set of bunks further up that catch the Vee at entry.  By definition if the bow is straight, so is the transom.    Because yours is a flatback, I'd also make sure to get PVC guide ons, which did come with my trailer.  Since the Vee is not so pronounced at aft, you'll want a little something extra to get you in place.  

As I recall you boat in the Keys.  I had a dilema when I bought my trailer because a breakover trailer (EZ Loader) is really much better for that area, but I also wanted the weight savings and durability of aluminum.  Keys ramps tend to be long and shallow, which isn't good for a float on type trailer but, ideal for a breakover with a shoal draft boat.  The dilema was I either couldn't find or, afford an aluminum breakover.  So in the end reasoning that 99.9% of my launches would be off davits anyway I went with a float on.  Later it also occured to me how many fewer moving parts there are on a float on

Good luck!
1973 22.2 Osprey - Sand Bar II
Miamuh, Florida

September 21, 2005, 08:51:11 PM
Reply #2

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:51:11 PM »
Thanks Radio.  Right, in the Keys.  In fact, I will use that little ramp over on Jo Jean Way.  Near Froggies.  Thanks for the advice, will look them up and keep your advice in mind.
Ray

September 24, 2005, 10:24:16 AM
Reply #3

scott_gunn

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 10:24:16 AM »
I really like my Rolls Axle trailer.  They are a little pricey but highly regarded as one of the best.  The only component that on mine that wasn't that great was the jack, but they've already started putting a different brand jack on them these days.

September 25, 2005, 08:06:42 AM
Reply #4

Rayos

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 08:06:42 AM »
Looking around I saw a Rolls and was really impressed.  Still looking around. Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal