You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 19-6 fuel tank replacement 1973 vintage  (Read 1770 times)

July 31, 2008, 08:36:18 PM
Read 1770 times

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
19-6 fuel tank replacement 1973 vintage
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:36:18 PM »

this was in the heat of battle

I need help how do I get this foamed thing out I am thinking just to start cutting with a long saw??  Any articles or writeups about replacing?

the boat is in great shape for being 35, she is older than me, I want to keep her for a long time and do this the right way.

thanks for any help
1973 19-6 wetback

August 01, 2008, 02:01:17 PM
Reply #1

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »
Here is a link with lots of good info.

Http://marinesurvey.com/yacht/fueltank.htm

Usually these tank replacements go along with putting in a new sole.  You have the straps loose so there are no more fasteners to find.  Have you drained the tank? It should just lift out but if the foam is holding it then you need leverage.  If you do not have access to an A-frame I would think about hooking a come-along to the fill & vent and lift gently.  If no access to an A-frame then perhaps use 2X6s to span the cap and attach a come-along (these cost about $40) to that. Or, use 2X4X8' as a lever against the sole (properly protected of course).

As you will read in the article above that foam is the main cause of tank failures.  Its gotta go.  And no need to replace it.  Use the straps you have and some of this

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... 9443_1%2F4

and some of this

http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... _8634_6500  

Be sure to follow the instructions in the article closely and the tank will last as long as you want it to.

Check my photo gallery below.  I had replace mine as well.

http://www.speedytanks.com/

MD  :wink:

August 01, 2008, 10:57:13 PM
Reply #2

Wayne'sWorld

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
NOTRUB,

Mad Dog's onto it and I used his posts along with many others on this site to tackle my tank.  Draining the tank first is a big help.  The gas was still good in my tank so I ran both of my cars nearly dry and transferred the gas to them. :wink:   Lots of caution when draining, right?

I was able to slide a strap from a rachet style tie down under the stern end of the empty tank.  My brother and I then lifted the stern end and carefully slid it out from under the console.  Install was the reverse.  Good luck and enjoy the ride!

August 02, 2008, 12:00:49 AM
Reply #3

LilRichard

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:49 AM »
Try the classicmako site - there are a few threads related to removing a tank via hydraulic jack.

August 04, 2008, 09:32:07 PM
Reply #4

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »
Mad Dog,

Thanks, the links and pictures helped.  I have 4 small spots in the sides of the tank where it just corroded sorta looks like tiny swiss cheese holes.

I took an 18" plastic pipe saw and cut the foam then used a wonder bar to pop it out allowing me to get the wonder bar underneith.  Wigglin and pulling she came out the back right under the center console.

Anyhow its out and the process should be straight forward.  The plywood beneath seems to be in great shape.

There are some holes the coffin for the tank it is not sealed off from the hull does it need to be that way??  seems I either lifted the fiberglas when scraping the foam or I had some holes in the back corners.  Drainage?  

The tank was just about flat empty and I have  yet to find any hole on the bottom.
I will post some pics soon
1973 19-6 wetback

August 04, 2008, 11:17:38 PM
Reply #5

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:17:38 PM »
NOTRUB,

Glad to help.   :)

I'm not sure about the holes in the coffin bottom.  Could be for drainage.  If so that means the manufacturer knew water would get in there and you need those holes.

If there is glass coming loose that may be delamination.  If that's happening you may have a bigger problem.  You'll want to fix that before you put the tank back in.

Please post some picks of the coffin.  It would help to see what you see.

August 05, 2008, 07:08:37 PM
Reply #6

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »
Mad Dog,

Some Pictures! I had to shop vac the coffin for ya.
bottom of picture bow.
Rear area looking down
lookg towards bow

Drainage holes smainage hole darn I must have gotten a little to rude with the wonder bar.  Compared to the tank the three holes visible in the coffin match the holes in the tank very well If I were to put the tank back.

I filled out the online quote at speedy tanks.

I was going to trash this boat one day and get something a little more sporty, I paid $500 for it over 10 years ago.  Yamahad it in 1999 with a manual mix oil/gas motor sametime I rebuilt the transome with a surfboard shaping friend.  I love old things in particular this old boat.
This boat took me to my wedding and brought me and my wife home.
I have dragged it from Chicateague VA to Ocracoke NC.
She is a looker

Minimal maintenance so far with this boat. I knew this day would come for a new fuel tank.

Thanks
1973 19-6 wetback

August 05, 2008, 07:26:58 PM
Reply #7

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
One more of the girl
1973 19-6 wetback

August 06, 2008, 11:22:00 AM
Reply #8

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
Notrub,

It looks like you have some issues with that tank support.  I'm not familiar with the tank coffin on the 170.  Is it closed in or open on the ends?

The support looks bowed along the center line which usually means it got wet.  The underside of it is probably not sealed which allows bilge water and condensation to soak into it.  It will eventually rot away.

If you are okay with it for now I would at least sand the top side, wipe it down with acetone then give it a couple coats of epoxy resin, maybe even at a layer of 9 oz cloth for abrasion protection.  You have to seal those places where the pry bar got out of control.  The three drain holes should not be a problem if you mount your new tank according to the instructions above. With the epoxy you will have a sealed and clean surface for mounting the new tank.  Remember the corrosion was caused by continuous moisture contact on the aluminum.  Eliminating the foam will fix most of that problem.

If it were my boat, I would cut that old wood out and put a properly sealed piece of marine plywood back in.  What I see in the pics is definitely not bad for a 35 year old boat but it is showing signs of decay.  If you do it right you are done for good.  Tank and coffin will out live you.

One more thing, if you use the original tie down straps be sure to glue some neoprene strips to the tank (just like the bottom) to prevent abrasion and corrosion.

August 06, 2008, 09:33:04 PM
Reply #9

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words.   This is camera in console looking back.  Three holes are not for drainage or maybe this was done before in the 35 years shes been around.  Its like a tub under the floor sitting on the bottom; the bow and stern end do not reach the floor.  I will get my level out tomorrow and check out the bottom board I jumped on it with my 180lbs and it seemed solid.  Thanks for the replys
1973 19-6 wetback

August 06, 2008, 11:55:46 PM
Reply #10

Mad Dog

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
Quote from: "NOTRUB"

:? I am confused by you drainage hole reply.   :?   What are these three holes? Are they inside the coffin?

August 09, 2008, 03:34:46 PM
Reply #11

NOTRUB

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 03:34:46 PM »
The three round holes are not inside the coffin I have not a clue why they are there other than to allow air flow over the tank front to rear; at each end(bow and stern) is a piece of 1/4" plywood glassed over.  the rear peice is what is making the bottom board looked bowed in the pictures.
1973 19-6 wetback

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal