You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Please Help! No Juice  (Read 854 times)

October 04, 2009, 08:19:58 PM
Read 854 times

WandaS

• Information Offline
Please Help! No Juice
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
I have a 1998 215 Explorer with 5.7 GS Volvo/Penta. Iwas ready to drop the boat in the water so I hooked up my GPS combo and nothing. No juice. So I checked the horn the lights and nothing. Trim and tilt worked and the engine starts right up.
I went down below took off the fuse panel and evey fuse is perfect. I pushed the red reset button on the engine and the transom but nothing. I have (2) brand new Maxx 29 batteries that both work.I am totally stumped.

Anyone with any insight please help.

Thanks for reading this.

October 04, 2009, 08:52:04 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Please Help! No Juice
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:52:04 PM »
Just curious.
Did you ever find the part for the trim and tilt you were lookin' for?

Back on topic, does anything work, other than the engine?
Do you have a "main fuse" for your electrical paraphernalia?
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

October 05, 2009, 05:04:37 AM
Reply #2

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:04:37 AM »
Has anything in the "house" worked since you replaced your batteries?
Could be either the main hot feed to the fuse panel or the neg were not attached to the house battery.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 05, 2009, 10:26:33 AM
Reply #3

GoneFission

• Information Offline
  • Mechanical Master
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:33 AM »
Check the battery connections - especially on the ground side and on the battery switch.  No power to anything is often caused by a loose/bad ground.  If you replaced the batteries, it may sound kind of silly, but make sure both are properly installed (+ to + and - to -) I've seen folks get one or both backwards and the main fuses/breakers open and zero power to everything.  At least the protective devices worked and it did not fry everything!  

If the main fuse/breaker is blown/open, investigate before you just replace/close.  The main + connection to the engine starter is often a direct connection, so check that with a meter or test light and see if you have power there.  If not, it's most likely a battery connection problem.  If you have power to the + lead on the starter motor, it's a problem with distribution wiring - check fuses/breakers and main terminals - again not just on the hot side, but special attention to the grounds.   And PLEASE don't jumper or bypass the fuse/breaker to make something work - that can lead to very bad outcomes.  Usually NO power is pretty simple - it gets more complicated when you have some power or, (my least favorite) intermittent power  :oops: - that one can be very frustrating!

Hope this helps - see you on the water!
Cap'n John
1980 22-2 CCP
Mercury 200 Optimax 
ASPA0345M80I
"Gone Fission"
ClassicAquasport Member #209

October 06, 2009, 12:09:09 PM
Reply #4

WandaS

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »
Captain Bob, I did find the trim and tilt motor new on ebay. As far as the house battery, the connections are correct as the trim and tilt work fine and the engine starts right up. All push button fuses have been reset and all solid fuses have been checked.
Again all battery connections are down far on the posts and very tight. So again totally stumped over here.

October 06, 2009, 12:21:32 PM
Reply #5

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:32 PM »
Quote from: "WandaS"
Captain Bob, I did find the trim and tilt motor new on ebay. As far as the house battery, the connections are correct as the trim and tilt work fine and the engine starts right up. All push button fuses have been reset and all solid fuses have been checked.
Again all battery connections are down far on the posts and very tight. So again totally stumped over here.
The starting battery takes care of motor related stuff like T&T and starting.
Put a meter on across the house battery + and - and then again between the common hot (red) on the fuse panel and the return (black) - should be the same.  If not, there's the problem.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal