Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Porta bracket troubleshooting  (Read 1793 times)

October 16, 2013, 05:13:27 PM
Read 1793 times

melba toast

• Information Offline
Porta bracket troubleshooting
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »
Porta folks are closed to Oct 22, or I would have asked them.

I have a 2-3 old portabracket that is not working at all.

(I assume its the trim switch located on the steering wheel)

Its a pretty typical set up with the hydraulic unit and solenoids inside a closed transom, then the hydraulic lines run out the transom to the actuator.

To test the unit, Can I jump the switch by connecting the blue wire (up) or the green wire (down) to the positive battery post ?

If this doesn't work, then I am thinking its likely corrosion on the solenoids located next to the hydraulic unit.

October 16, 2013, 05:48:38 PM
Reply #1

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
Re: Porta bracket troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:48:38 PM »
Absolutely.  That's how I test the pumps to make sure they're still good.  The Porta-Bracket uses the same pump as a Bob's Jack Plate, the variation of the old tried and true Mercruiser TNT pump.  Just make sure your ground to the pump is good...

Corner of 520 and A1A...

October 17, 2013, 03:17:59 PM
Reply #2

melba toast

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
It was corrosion on the relays. Jumping it at the solenoid had the bracket working just fine. I may clean them up and try to use them or buy some new ones depending on price. I am going to be installing this unit on my boat eventually so I may start with fresh components.

The unit is only 2-3 years old, but the solenoids are inside an enclosed transom cap, with moisture from the bilge and gulf coast humidity working on them. I would recommend corrosion block, ect on all connections for anybody who has a bob's or a porta with this type of set-up.

October 17, 2013, 03:25:41 PM
Reply #3

seabob4

• Information Offline
  • Rigging Master
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:25:41 PM »
Contact Porta.  Betcha they'll send you a couple new ones...maybe even free... :wink:

Another thing I would do before installation is drain and clean the pump reservoir.  I have done a TON of Bob's pumps (same pump) where the oil is just gross, almost to the point where you think...how does this jack plate still work?

Corner of 520 and A1A...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal