Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: Transmission Linkage  (Read 115 times)

August 07, 2022, 12:27:34 PM
Read 115 times

Hiram Adrift

• Information Offline
  • Down to the hull and back.
Transmission Linkage
« on: August 07, 2022, 12:27:34 PM »
OK, so I have finally gotten round to working on the engine for my restoration.

Based on the serial number and according to the manufacturer, I have a 1994 Mercury 100 2-stroke.

Question:

When I move the shift linkage forward and turn the flywheel, the prop shaft rotates as top to starboard, as I believe it should.  When I move the linkage aft, the prop shaft rotates the other way.  Seems proper.  However, I cannot seem to find a spot where the flywheel turns but not the shaft, which I would think should happen when the controls are in neutral.

Am I just not finding the sweet spot or is there a problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  What follows is why I ask what is likely a stupid question to most of you and will be asking many more.

Full disclosure:  I have enough mechanical aptitude to take an oil refinery apart and put it back together and I have two building trades in my resume but I am not much of an engine mechanic.  That said, I have never let not knowing what I am doing stop me from a project.

I acquired the engine from a friend in trade for doing some work on his house and then he turned out to be not much of a friend.  I have no idea whether the engine actually runs but I am determined to try until it does or I need to spend more money than it is worth.
Ed Z.
1984 Osprey 196, Mercury 100
Restoration In Progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal