Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: thru hull- keep the second one or glass the hole?  (Read 907 times)

June 21, 2006, 02:35:09 PM
Read 907 times

Tim/GA

• Information Offline
    • http://curriecustomnets.com/
thru hull- keep the second one or glass the hole?
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:35:09 PM »
Looking for opinions on this one.  My 19' 1" had two thru hulls in it.  I am about to lay a layer of glass over the inside of the hull bottom prior to installing the new stringers and have to decide wether to keep both holes or get rid of one.  I will be installing a scoop type thru hull for my livewell inlet in the back hole and was going to look at running the wash down off that same one.  The second hole is about 24" forward of the back hole.  I can either install a regular thru hull (going to use sea cocks on any of the below the water line thru hulls) or I can glass in the hole.

I will be making a below deck compartment for the thru hulls and also a shoot thru the hull transducer.  If I glass the hole closed the compartment could be smaller I guess but how strong will be the patch be?.  Not sure what is the best choice though.  Opinions?
Currie Custom Cast Nets and Seines
http]

June 21, 2006, 08:32:03 PM
Reply #1

John Jones

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:03 PM »
A good patch will be stronger than the original hull.  I'll leave it to the experts to tell you the best way to do it.

You might want to consider this.  I put a 1" bronze scoop in for feeding the baitwell and washdown pumps.  Teed to two 3/4" lines for the pumps.  I ended up with too much forced water for a 1-1/2" overflow line from the bait well.  At cruise, the forced water was more than the 1-1/2" overflow could handle, even with the pump off.  I did not want to choke off the flow so I installed a second scoop facing backwards and connected the overflow to that.  The suction created at cruise speed stopped my overflow problem and I still have plenty of water to keep the bait frisky.

I soaked a piece of 1/2" plywood with resin, roughed it and the hull with 60 grit, then used thickened resin to stick it down.  After it set, I used a hole saw to go through the plywood and the hull, then put several coats of resin inside the holes.  I really gobbed on the 5200 when I installed the scoops, then wiped up the extra.  I am pleased and confident in the installation.  I am sure there are other ways of doing it but this worked for me.

Tip:
After one trip, a small amount of bilge saltwater started turning the bronze green.  I wire brushed the bronze stuff clean again, then "painted" the bronze with resin.  After a year I have no green on the bronze.  It's dull looking but that's better than green.
Politics have no relation to morals.
Niccolo Machiavelli

June 22, 2006, 11:08:20 AM
Reply #2

warthog5

• Information Offline
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »
If it was mine. It would have a 3/4in scoop on the port side and a seacock on it. That would have a dual port livewell pump on it. The 2nd port is to supply water to the washdown pump.

Then on the STB side stright across from the scoop I would install a Airmar B-60 tilted Element X-ducer.
"Just \'cause it\'s new, doesn\'t mean it\'s worth a Damn!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal