You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Primer Solenoid  (Read 69 times)

April 14, 2024, 12:31:00 PM
Read 69 times

Hshirokmann

• Information Offline
Primer Solenoid
« on: April 14, 2024, 12:31:00 PM »
Hi all,

I have a 2003 215 explorer with original 175 Johnson. last season I had hard starts and when I manually moved the primer arm it would then start. Before I go in the water this season, I am looking into this and when disconnecting the solenoid wires and putting a voltmeter on it I am not seeing any voltage when I put the key in the choke position. 1st question is am I diagnosing this correctly, and the second question is do you think that the whole key switch is bad? The boat starter turns over fine with the key and does not seem to miss on any key turns. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Howard

April 15, 2024, 12:32:11 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Primer Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 12:32:11 PM »
A lot going on here so....

First, when pushing in the key switch (choke) you should here the solenoid "click". You are correct in the fact you should show voltage at the wires when doing the same. Rotating the red lever by-passes the solenoid and allows fuel to be pulled into the carbs. When using that method, returning the lever to the closed position would be best after warm-up. You seem to have that down pat and it would appear that there is a "disconnect" between the ignition choke portion of the switch and the primer solenoid. Could be a switch problem (dirty contacts) or a break in the wiring to the primer.

You might try a squirt of contact cleaner shot through the key entry or checking the connectors on the rear of the switch. Hopefully, at worst, you'll need to replace the switch itself and not have to chase down a wiring connection.

Good luck.

PS.... looking at an old 1996 service manual for my 200hp shows an ohm check 5.5 ohms +/- 1.5 ohm so you could also check the solenoid coil winding itself.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

April 21, 2024, 01:09:12 PM
Reply #2

Hshirokmann

• Information Offline
Re: Primer Solenoid
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 01:09:12 PM »
Capt. Bob,

Thanks for the info. I tested the solenoid resistance and found it was good, and I replaced the key switch which resolved my issue. Thanks for the info.

Howard

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal