You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: 1974 Aquasport 222 Rebuild Captain Joe  (Read 16369 times)

October 29, 2019, 07:44:38 PM
Reply #75

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
    • Speak Easy Fishing Charters
Re: 1974 Aquasport 222 Rebuild Captain Joe
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:38 PM »
So I’m going to be vulnerable and honest. My stringers last week did not look like work that I was proud of. There were a few low spots and the glass just didn’t seem like it was done properly. Today I cut the tops of them off, foamed them until they overflowed, used a machete to cut the excess foam, and reglassed them to what I believe is acceptable standards. It’s not professional by any means but I’m very happy with how they turned out.

October 29, 2019, 08:48:47 PM
Reply #76

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »
Came out looking nice. If you are unsure of how strong they are, scruff what you have done with 80 grit flap sander wheel on 90 degree grinder and then lam 1708 from the hull bottom up the sides and over the hull bottom on the other side. Then you know it's structural.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

October 30, 2019, 07:09:42 AM
Reply #77

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2019, 07:09:42 AM »
That's the nice thing about fiberglass. if you don't like it, grind it off and start over.  :thumleft:  They look fine now. If there are any imperfections left on the tops now you will never see them once they're filled with bonding putty and covered with the floor.

November 20, 2019, 11:56:49 AM
Reply #78

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Today I ordered 5 sheets of 1/2” thermolite board at 24lb density from Merritt Supply. It was $205/sheet and thought this would be the best option for the boat. Next week I’ll finish up some glass work in the hull and try to make some templates for my bulkheads.

For some reason my stringer heights are off, even when I measure off of the original tops that I left on. My starboard stringer is lower than my port side. When I’m able to lay my floor inside I’ll get an exact measurement so that I can build the stringers  up properly.

Exciting stuff happening and I couldn’t do it without everyone’s help.

November 21, 2019, 05:19:25 PM
Reply #79

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
Glad we could help you spend your money intelligently ;-)
What does a string line show along the top of the stringers? Are they flat?
Rick

November 21, 2019, 05:38:59 PM
Reply #80

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2019, 05:38:59 PM »
Those should work well.

Is there any chance the strings aren't centered? If they are the same height but one is a few inches off center it would be a little higher or lower than the other.

November 21, 2019, 07:33:19 PM
Reply #81

Fish Head

• Information Offline
  • MidWest
« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2019, 07:33:19 PM »
Just a thought and I understand pics from cameras can show funny angles,but in your pic....everything looks square to each other like the fence line to your neighbors roof line to the protective structure you have setup. Everything but your transom ? Is your hull not sitting level maybe throwing things off?

November 23, 2019, 02:16:11 PM
Reply #82

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
I feel better already having the proper materials.

The boat is on an uneven surface and not level. I’m going to run several strings across the stringers, from one side of the liner lip to the other. I’ll see what I can come up with but I’ve done everything to make sure what I do to one side I do to the other.

Updates and pictures soon to come!

December 03, 2019, 04:02:48 PM
Reply #83

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »
I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out this stringer height thing out. Made sure everything was level and true. My dad and I came to the conclusion that possibly the starboard side had extra wood under the floor to compensate for the “wire run” to the back of the boat?

Nevertheless I’m working on trying to raise the stringers to the liner lip even though it’s “bumpy” and not completely flat. Once I get the stringers built up I’ll focus my attention on the bulkheads and gas tank.

December 04, 2019, 06:12:27 AM
Reply #84

mshugg

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
The liner lip may be a little wavy where the glass want supported by the core, but it should pull to a reasonably strait line.  I’d consider temporarily screwing the lip to some kind of lever board, and use that as the base line for the height of my stringers. 

December 04, 2019, 07:20:21 AM
Reply #85

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
Hi Joe, with the cap still on the boat it'll be hard to get consistent measurements to the top of the stringers. It might take popping the cap loose and sliding a 2x4 under it and across the hull to get real measurements. I found out that my starboard stringer was 3/8" lower at the aft of the hull as the port stringer.  I lammed more glass (6 layers of 1708) along the top of the stringer to correct that problem.

Are you talking about the liner over the hull sides that you see in the last picture - the liner that covers the hullsides? As I mentioned earlier, I'd gently pop them loose and take them out of the hull, you'll be able to re-use them later, to save you fill/fair time. This way when you lay the floor in, you're measuring and tabbing to the hullsides, not a liner.
So, pop the liner and remove from boat, unscrew the cap and pop it free, use a 2x4 to slide along the hullside top and get good measurements and repair what you need to.  Then move on to the next step in your plan. My $.02
Rick

December 04, 2019, 09:07:01 AM
Reply #86

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
Hi Joe, with the cap still on the boat it'll be hard to get consistent measurements to the top of the stringers. It might take popping the cap loose and sliding a 2x4 under it and across the hull to get real measurements. I found out that my starboard stringer was 3/8" lower at the aft of the hull as the port stringer.  I lammed more glass (6 layers of 1708) along the top of the stringer to correct that problem.

Are you talking about the liner over the hull sides that you see in the last picture - the liner that covers the hullsides? As I mentioned earlier, I'd gently pop them loose and take them out of the hull, you'll be able to re-use them later, to save you fill/fair time. This way when you lay the floor in, you're measuring and tabbing to the hullsides, not a liner.
So, pop the liner and remove from boat, unscrew the cap and pop it free, use a 2x4 to slide along the hullside top and get good measurements and repair what you need to.  Then move on to the next step in your plan. My $.02

Yes, the inner liner that’s in the last picture. We thought that maybe the cap was giving us a false measurement. I’m going to start there and take the cap off to see if the hull sides could’ve been flexing in or out. I’ll take my time with this part of the rebuild to ensure a properly built vessel.

Thank you everyone

December 04, 2019, 07:28:48 PM
Reply #87

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Now that the transom core is in, the hull should be stable and hold it's form. Watch and see if the hull sides are flopping in/out as you lift the cap. Might be ready to attach some 2x4s across the hull top edge to keep the hull in shape. Also you need to keep the cap close to the hull so it doesn't deform. Draw the hull with stringers drawn in on paper,  pop the cap loose loose, leave it loose and slide a 2x4 under it and across from stem taking measurements every foot to the top of the stringers and annotate on the drawing. Also measure off the hullsides to annotate the top and bottom of each stringer and also measure to the other side of the stringer top and bottom every foot along the hullside.  This is great info to keep around as you're engineering. Plus after the build you'll know exactly where everything is. Copious notes are good things. When you're done measuring, lay the cap back on to keep it's shape.

You have to have some idea how you're going to finish the inside of the boat - gelcoat or paint? When I was doing my rebuild anything below the sole was epoxy and anything above was poly for gelcoat. This wasn't a sudden decision, you have to spend a couple days here and there just staring at the boat and think all of this through - I've been known to spend a whole weekend sitting there staring and thinking. I think I came up with some good solutions but if I didn't spend the time thinking while staring at everything, it wouldn't be possible. Don't think of it as wasting time - it's called "engineering time".

I have a big liner and it allowed me to connect the sole to the hullside with epoxy and then I could hide that and attach the liner to the sole with poly. Handy trick. The beauty of popping off your hullside liners is that you can tab directly into the hull sides and then you can trim down the liners and reattach.
Keep asking questions, we're here for you.
Rick

December 12, 2019, 06:57:08 PM
Reply #88

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
More thinking was completed this week, so nothing picture worthy. I found that the inner liner is tapered from the front to the back of the boat. At the front where the floor meets the step-up it’s 8” from the floor to the liner lip. In the middle it’s 10” and toward the back, a foot from the transom, it’s 9”.

I have two solutions to this dilemma:

1) Forget my inner liner as my floor guide and make my straight line from the floor up to my desired height. Then I’ll build my stringers up and continue on with my bulkhead placement.

2) I’ll start my floor by building a few bulkheads first. This will allow me get an accurate stringer height and to see if everything is truly level. From there I can build my stringers up and see what type of space I’ll have for a fuel tank.

My hope is that next week I’ll have more pictures of my progress. I want to gelcoat the inside and use poly above the floor.

December 18, 2019, 05:11:18 PM
Reply #89

Capt.Joe

• Information Offline
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »
Today I ran 2x4’s across the boat on the “lip liner” to make sure it was level. It was level and showed how far off my stringers are. The way I fixed the problem was to:

1) Cut a 5x5 vinyl fence post in half
2) Place the fence post on top of my stringers and mark a line along the edges of them.
3) Take a circular saw and cut along my marked line. It took 3 passes to widen them enough.
4) Place the fence post inside of my cut grooves and tap them into place
5) Place the previously cut 2x4’s from one lip to another and tap the fence post a 1/4” below where the floor should sit. This should give me enough room for glass and bonding putty.

I’m extremely happy with how things are turning out and I can finally move forward with my build.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal