Attention: Have 2 pages to see today

Author Topic: No fuel at the primer bulb  (Read 437 times)

May 13, 2018, 10:19:21 PM
Read 437 times

maxturbogt

• Information Offline
No fuel at the primer bulb
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:19:21 PM »
Hello everybody, Im new here. And hope somebody has an answer for me. Ive had my 2001 205 Osprey for over 11 years with no issues until now.
I live in New jersey and its time to get the boat ready for fishing. way over due to be exact. Over the winter i empty the gas tank and winterize and shrink wrap the boat for winter. Spring comes install batteries added 10 gallons of fresh gas.
Go to start it cranks perfect like it always did. But no fuel.
Primer bulb only 3 years old. disconnected the bulb from the engine size to see if anything was coming out. Nothing.
checked my water fuel separator no gas in there either. pulled the hose that comes from the pick up tube. installed the primer on that hose . Cant pull any fuel out. Maybe a few drops at first than nothing. I was able to blow air into that line could hear bubbles in the tank.But still no gas coming out. I have a cut off valve connected to the pick up tube. So I removed and checked ok no issues.
I pulled the pick up tube all the way up . Unable to pull it all the way out because the bulkhead fitting that it screws into doesnt let the hose come all the out. I checked for cracks or cuts in the tube couldnt find any. I removed the sending unit out and looked inside tank. Nice and clean. Used a coat hanger to grab the tip of the pick up tube and checked the strainer at the tip. Nice and clean. Nothing blocking it.
So I reinstalled the sender and the pick up tube and cutoff valve. Installed new fuel hose right at the cutoff valve with a brand new primer bulb still nothing few drops at first than nothing. you can almost hear as if theres an air leak somewhere when i am priming the bulb. If it is the pick up tube that has a slight crack that i couldnt find.Letting air in.  How do I get it out without the bulkhead fitting falling into the tank?
Has anybody had this issue? Thanks for all your help.

May 14, 2018, 07:55:42 PM
Reply #1

maxturbogt

• Information Offline
Re: No fuel at the primer bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
Ok now im confused. Today i left the gas cap off and i was able to prime the bulb in 3 squeezes . And motor ran fine.
Put the gas  cap back on no gas again. What gives? The Perko gas filler neck has 2 hoses one for the gas for when u fill it up and the other is the vent hose. Do you think thats my problem the vent hose?

May 14, 2018, 10:31:28 PM
Reply #2

theFunsmith

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:31:28 PM »
I suppose it is possible there is a vacuum on the tank, maybe the vent is not allowing any pressure equalization. Possibly a clog on the vent tube, or the cap isn't working correctly, and is tightly sealing the vent. Has the cap been replaced?

May 15, 2018, 02:54:08 AM
Reply #3

Woodeneye

• Information Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:54:08 AM »
+1 blocked breather/vent
*SOLD*1981 222 CCP, Westport, MA.

May 15, 2018, 07:37:13 AM
Reply #4

maxturbogt

• Information Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »
Thank you guys for your input. Ive never replaced the gas cap nor the vent tube thats connected to it. I ordered a new Perko #0541 gas filler neck thats what my boat came with so ill keep it that way. and ill be replacing the hose also. These caps have a vent on them also. So hopefully this is the fix. Will keep you guys updated once I replace them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal