Attention: Have only 1 page to see today

Author Topic: 70's 196 Rebuild  (Read 954 times)

November 25, 2019, 06:18:41 PM
Read 954 times

Jjohnson0157

• Information Offline
70's 196 Rebuild
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
So it Begins... Picked up this 196 a couple years ago knowing a rebuild was in the future.  I've been a long time lurker and ran across this forum when searching for a project.  I have an addiction to punishment by Fiberglass.  I've restored two sailboats that I lived on over a 10 year period. Used this boat a good bit last summer and love it! She sat this summer due to work.  1998 Johnson 150 that runs like a top and no plans to re-power.  So now the ugly... Decks were soft when I bought her, only little did I know this was exterior plywood glassed on top of the original deck :a0002: Cutting off the old deck, my gloves were soaked.  The fuel tank coffin has foam and water up to the edge.  Working aft, I see someone has attempted a rebuild in the past.  Someone extended stringers for knees to the transom and attempted some glass work around the boat that's shoddy to say the least.  Will cut open stringers this week to see what shape foam is in or if this was done during last "rebuild."  Plans for the boat are raised marine plywood floors, a closed in coosa transom with armstrong bracket, and a new fuel tank moved forward a couple feet.  These are the big items and of course some creature comforts.  So the problem now is I was planning to install new floor on where I cut, however this being exterior plywood, i'd be much happier with that out of the boat altogether.  Any ideas?  I've considered trying to cut away the exterior ply layer with a saw and go from the original floor, which all seems in good shape at the edges.  Seems quite the PITA to do this. Also on the inside hull aft, there seems a void under a couple glass layers?  Anyone see this before?  The casting deck needs some love as well so plan on cutting this from the liner and installing a deeper fishbox to utilize space under the deck. I'd like to leave it and just rebuild hatches, but seems will be difficult.  Plan on working at a pretty good pace on this project to not drag out too terribly long.  Thanks for all who contribute on here and share your wealth of knowledge! Glad to be part of this group.

November 26, 2019, 06:19:01 AM
Reply #1

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
Re: 70's 196 Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 06:19:01 AM »
Welcome aboard JJ. Where were the last 2 pics taken? In pic #3 I see a crack along whatever the pic is of.  Not sure what we're looking at in pic #4.
Rick
1971 "170" with 115 Johnson (It's usable but not 100% finished)

1992 230 Explorer with 250 Yamaha

November 27, 2019, 02:41:03 PM
Reply #2

Jjohnson0157

• Information Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 02:41:03 PM »
The third pic is the port side stringer looking at the transom, the last is the transom between the stringers.  Got outboard stand built yesterday so will be pulling it off after the holiday.  Seems on the floor if I add "bulkheads" from stringer to the hull sides, This would give the new floor more support along with the hull itself.  Stocking up on grinding disk as one stringer is almost completely separated. 

November 28, 2019, 09:14:56 AM
Reply #3

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:14:56 AM »
Try using flap sanding disks - they work incredibly quick.
Looking at the last pic I'm not sure what happened. Looks like someone may have attempted covering up something with a poorly laminated layer of glass.
You may have to grind that off prior to finding out the true extent of work required.
Rick

November 30, 2019, 08:57:50 PM
Reply #4

Tampa Bay Mike

• Information Offline
  • Master Rebuilder
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Welcome! And yeah, that floor looked soaked! I agree with Rick on the flap disks vs the flat ones. I ground out pretty much everything with one flap disk and it still has some life on it.

December 11, 2019, 12:33:08 PM
Reply #5

Jjohnson0157

• Information Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
More destruction.  Transom is cut out, was some very wet wood in there! Funny someone had actually cut heads off screws and left them in transom. Of course the center stringer was soaked as well. I didn't know aquasport used wood stringers but the center stringer was definitely wood cored and soaked as well.  I've decided to remove the old stringers and not rebuild them. They really were not in good shape with the Port stringer almost completely delaminated.  The grinding has begun to get back to good glass.  As others have done I will add a couple layers of 1700 to the hull.  By not going back with the trapezoid stringers, I'll be able to add a bit wider tank and move this forward about 2ft.  Debating on what to do with the forward casting deck.  Cleaning this up for now. I like how the hatches are set up to drain to the deck and its mostly solid glass.  Going back with wood transom and stringers.  I don't see that drastic of a weight savings by the time you glass.  Plus if its wet again in 42 years, it will likely be my unborn son's project!  With epoxy and and being diligent with every screw or bolt, I feel confident I can keep water out.  The flap disk is definitely better than the grinding disk.  Awesome suggestion thanks!  Already had an air chisel and this makes quick work of any wood coring.  Deck will be raised 2 1/2 inches over factory. Will be supported by bulkheads and stringers, will fillet into the liner, should be plenty of support.  In building up the new transom skin, I suppose I'll use 1708 unless anyone has any other suggestions for layup?  I'd prefer just 1700 using epoxy but need to build this up, that would be quite a lot of layers of 1700.

December 11, 2019, 05:04:41 PM
Reply #6

RickK

• Information Offline
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »
Good progress.  Are you planning on popping the liner out? It would make life easier on you when grinding and as is, would hold it's shape. You would need to take measurements to the hull side and put some wood across the hull to keep it in shape.
Rick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal