You reached the limit of pages to see for today

Author Topic: Replacement stern soundboard for 1998 215 Explorer outboard  (Read 231 times)

June 15, 2020, 11:56:27 AM
Read 231 times

CA VPlus10

• Information Offline
Hi all, this is my first day on board. Let me apologize in advance for not being computer literate. I've read most of the SMF instructions and not too sure it did me much good. While in the Air Force, they told me I was "trainable." I'm real glad to have found this group.

I am looking to replace the bi-fold slide-in sound board that came on the 1998 215 Explorer outboard version. It's the white starboard hinged panel in front of the engine. It significantly lowers the sound of the motor, still kicking on the 1998 200HP Evinrude Ocean Pro, and more importantly keeps in the dog and small children.

I'm the original owner and it disappeared from my boat while at my dry stack marina. In lieu of OEM replacement, I would also like to hear of other substitute ideas for that door. It's most unique feature I think is that when in the full up position, if the motor was tilted to far up, the upper half would pop out of the retainers, small nylon fitting latches, before anything broke. Now, similar latches would have to be found, in the event I have to just make one.

In the event I need to make one, or have one made, I need the measurements, if somebody would be kind enough to measure theirs and reply to this post with length, width, and thickness of both boards, please. In the meantime, I'll be calling and searching as many boat salvage listings I can find.

Thank you,
CA Vplus10

June 15, 2020, 12:18:34 PM
Reply #1

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Replacement stern soundboard for 1998 215 Explorer outboard
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »
CA,

A couple of things.
First, never say never but I'm guessing finding a replacement won't be easy. That said, building a replacement may be your best course of action.

Second, pics would help as to show us what you're up against. Is this the board you're speaking of?

Good luck.
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

June 15, 2020, 12:30:22 PM
Reply #2

Capt. Bob

• Information Offline
  • Global Moderator
Re: Replacement stern soundboard for 1998 215 Explorer outboard
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
Mine was missing when I purchased my 210.

I built another and added the rod holders.

It's hinged so that the motor could be tilted up.

Good luck. :thumright:
]
Capt. Bob
1991 210 Walkaround
2018 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke
"Reef or Madness IV"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal